Saturday, August 15, 2015

Goat Rock Ranch: Chickens Little

Here's an interesting thing about (our) chickens.  They're lazy.  Who knew?

They go to bed early, sleep really late and finally venture out of their house in the evening to eat a bite, take a few drinks of water and go back to bed/roost.

They are all kinds of fun, though, and the whole family is enjoying them.  :)

Here is L with Hazel.
And me with Ruby.
The boys go out several times a day to check on them and make sure they have plenty of water.

We're using a temporary water bucket (made specifically for chickens) until we make one I pinned on Pinterest (so it's guaranteed to work out).  One of the Buffs (as in Buff Orpington) doesn't appear to have mastered it yet and since it's finally hot here-very hot-I've made it clear to the boys that she must have water available or she could die.

Here's a regular morning conversation:
J:  I'm goin' out to check on the chickens!
Me:  Sounds good!  Make sure the doors are latched before you leave.
(Boys run off to the chicken coop & return quite a while later)
L:  (yells)  We checked on wittle Hattie and she's not dead!
Two thumbs up, Luke.

In case I have failed to mention it previously, the chickens are around 3-4 months old and so they aren't laying yet.  The Chicken Woman said the Cinnamon Queens will start laying around 5 and a half months old and the others start around 6 months.

The first egg will be big news around here, so you're sure to hear about it.  Oh, and we've finally assigned names to the chickens and I hope to post their pics with names soon.  (They're like wild boys in that they aren't really into standing still for photo opps.)

No comments: