Friday, August 7, 2015

6 Little Chickens & 2 Ecstatic Boys

The Chicken Woman was all business today.  We had 6 chickens in the back of the Tahoe and were on the road headed home before I even had time to pull out my phone for a few pics.

I'd decided to run through the drive through at Chicken Express on the way home because, obviously.  Plus we were out of lunch meat.

L:  Momma, we bettuh not wet the workus see owuh chackens because they will want to cut them up and cook them.

Or they might just think we're a bit twisted, but whatever.  I've got a once a week Chicken Express habit and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Moving on.

Hots met us on his lunch break to greet the girls, who wasted no time hopping out of the little cage and exploring their new casa.
J spent hours with them today, "working with them and getting them used to me," and is SO excited about our new pets.
They're extremely gentle and allow us to pet them and hold them.  I was a bit concerned that they may be more difficult to gentle at this age (around 2-3 months old) as opposed to the day old chicks, but they've obviously been handled and are tolerating the boys very well.

J's first time to hold a chicken (and he now knows the proper way to hold her-rotate 90 degrees).
J wanted to show them their house.
It's been a great day; so much fun!  I know the chickens will sleep well tonight, as they've had a very busy day with lots of attention.  They were actually yawning-something new I learned about chickens today-and falling asleep while we were out there early evening.

I think I even heard one tell another that life was so much simpler in their old coop that was half the size of this one where they lived with 50 others.

Hots and I did a late night chicken check and they're all tucked in.  We're working on names, but I hated to assign them before we make sure everyone survives the night.  Here's hoping all the staples, screws, boards, wires, stakes, etc hold!

No comments: