Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Marriage Retreat 2011

Since a post w/ out a pic is, well, boring, I found this one of us from 2005 just for fun. :)


For the first time in our marriage-9+ years-we attended a marriage retreat put on by our church; specifically, our pastor and new family counselor. As I've mentioned before, I strongly believe in constantly working to improve marriage. I'll follow that statement admitting that B is almost solely responsible for initiating and continuing the work on ours. He has his hands full!

When I first heard about the retreat I instantly put up 4 walls and hoped B hadn't heard the announcement. Camp/Retreat situations and I have never really gotten along. I know it's a personal problem, but that doesn't change the anxiety I experience at the thought alone of going to camp (not to be confused with camping) or to a retreat. Images of hugging, holding hands, and sharing feelings surround me and I literally want to go to a deserted island.

However, given my strong opinion of marriage maintenance and improvement, I basically had no out when B suggested we attend the retreat. He thought it would be 'fun' and 'good for us' and even threw out a few specific things I've said about the importance of nurturing our marriage. (I HATE that he's such a good listener!) Also, I'm a HUGE fan of the Duggars and I just finished their last book where they told that they regularly attend marriage retreats. (See, B, the Duggars are good for our marriage! :)

Here are a few of the things that were on my mind as the date approached:
-We could be floating the river.
-We could be vacationing in San Antonio, Austin, anywhere, really.
-I better not have to hug anyone.
-Will we have to share feelings?
-Wonder what the food will be like...
-What will we learn? (Yes, this was actually on my mind.)

Kaydie graciously volunteered to keep the boys for us-yea!-and we headed to Bastrop Friday evening.

I found the pastor and counselor right away and announced (holding up one finger, then two, at the appropriate times), "The first time I have to A. cry or B. hug someone that's not him (pointing at B), I'm outta here."

They laughed and probably began planning an intervention.

The weekend flew by and we had a BLAST. It was so much fun, we learned A LOT, and got to meet several couples from our church we'd never met or hadn't gotten to know previously. The schedule was relaxed, but we had plenty to do. Both nights when we were finished meeting we took long walks outside; something we aren't able to do now b/c of our (sweet, precious, worth it all) kids. It was fun. Lots of fun. :)

I tried to sign up for next year, but they aren't taking reservations yet.

Things to Note from the Weekend:

-I learned that our friend's sister is married to my (MAJOR-like, 4+ year) high school crush. Small world. No, I did not tell her I used to have a small shrine in my closet dedicated to this guy. It just wouldn't serve any purpose, really, and she still thinks I'm somewhat normal.

-We played The Newlywed Game and lost b/c B answered 2 questions incorrectly. He said I hog the computer (Wrong-covers) and when asked about my childhood pet, he said I had a Datsun and then couldn't think of the name. Hello, Corkey?! (Yes, I did inform him that a Datsun was actually an automobile and was secretly glad I hadn't had to try to spell dachshund on the spot without spell check.)

-The youngest couple in attendance had been married just 3 mos. and the oldest, 59 years. Pretty cool.

-We were given a goody box on Friday night with a cardboard bow on top, which Brian ripped off, dropping the entire box because, "I thought it was a handle." We got a good laugh outta that one!

-Upon our return, the boys gave us their usual greeting, a full-fledged fit, crying, "Kaydie don't leave us." Thanks, thanks a lot.

We had a wonderful time and I'm already looking forward to next year! (B says he'll take me back.) Much love and many thanks to my man who works hard for our marriage every day. I know you have your hands full w/ me! Love you, Hots!

3 comments:

Aunt Kathey said...

Barb, I have so much love and respect for you but The Duggars? Really, they have a gazillion kids. Really, and then there is the hair. Really???!@#^%&*(

bankerag said...

For the record, I botched one answer and Barb botched one answer. Yes I did forget the name of her childhood pet. However, we never fight over covers as she has her own blanket!

It was a great time and I am the luckiest man alive to have you!! Love ya Babe!

MOM SPENCE said...

You crack me up. I am going to hug you next time I see you just to watch you cringe!!!!