Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day Trip to the Ranch (& some reminiscing)

The ranch is one of my favorite places on Earth.  I've logged many a mile there with Grandpapa in his truck, checking cattle and grass (because that's fun for ranchers during the wet years).  

And his stories.  Our drives always included his stories.  

My grandparents poured blood, sweat, and tears into this place (as did their kids) for many years; a real life cowboy and cowgirl whom I had the privilege to see in action from my early years up until what seems like yesterday.

I have so many memories of time spent there as a kid and I'm thinking this generation-my generation-was the one to "ride" in on since all that hard work had been done and all that was left was fun; hiking, hunting for rocks, catching tortoises and horny toads (when they were still around and it wasn't illegal) and just enjoying being out there in the middle of nowhere because all these things make up the experience.

My excitement about impending trips to the ranch is the same now as it was when I was a kid.  Time there is good for my soul.

Now that we're much closer we can actually make a day trip.  I'm ECSTATIC!!!  A couple of weeks ago Hots met a wildlife biologist there so the rest of us tagged along.

SK found some new grass
Playing in the dirt-She loved it!
J & L checking out a tank

Grandmama chatting with SK
Kaydie & SK
J & L trailing their daddy to close a window on the deer stand.  What I wish I had was a video of Hots' reaction to a huge owl who'd made that his home exiting as he opened the door. ;)
Besides the owl, Kaydie had the coolest find-a wild hog jaw.  SK was very intrigued.
checking it out
I saw a bovine pelvis.  Hots saw a Game of Thrones mask.

And then he showed the baby.  Who is clearly one of us.
Like father, like son
                                      
x2
                                      
All that fun wore a girl out!

No comments: