Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mission Tejas State Park

This weekend we met Dad and Kathy to camp.  It was a blast!  The weather was perfect and we all had a great time.

After we set up camp and were waiting for them to arrive we spent some time at the fabulous park area, which was a little ways from the main camping area and thickly surrounded by lots of beautiful trees (Love my E TX trees!).

Soon after we got to the playground B decided he needed to head up to the main office-the only place we got cell reception-to call Dad & Kathy to let them know what sites we'd reserved.

As I watched my man, my cell phone (which would be of no use, anyway), and my dog-the big one-head around the bend and out of site, it occurred to me that this setting-the secluded wooded area I and my children were in alone-was the perfect setting for the murder/abduction scene in an episode of Criminal Minds.  All that was missing was the crazy serial killer.

Enter the middle-aged man camping alone in the only campsite beside the playground.  I'd gotten a weird vibe from him before B left, actually, but I didn't feel threatened and credited my "feeling" to my affinity of shows about the things mentioned above and, again, the secluded wooded area.

I used my teacher/mom skills to monitor the boys on one side and the man on the other, trying not to get too creeped out.

That plan worked pretty well, right up until the man began loudly singing the theme song for Cheers.  I kid you not.  Creep-O.    

We obviously got outta there alive and were able to enjoy the rest of our weekend.  Here are some pics of our super fun trip!

Caterpillars were aplenty and the boys enjoyed playing with them and building them "houses."
Sitting by the Campfire (L has started fake-smiling or making some other random face like J when I ask him to smile for the camera.)
J Poking the Fire-He was all over it the entire weekend.
Munchin' on Mr. Mills' Famous Pancakes-so delish, they don't need syrup!

The Guys  :)
Honey & L Chattin' it Up by the Pond
L learned a lesson on grabbing things out of the campfire with his bare hands.  Poor guy.  :(
To the person who invented tiny Carhartts-You rock!  
Missy's First Camping Trip-She did great!
The Man & His Dog
Still on the the Fire

"I want someone to hole-duh me."
There were lots of cool bridges to cross on our hikes!
L about to Cross
Go Luke, Go Luke!
Papa Found some Cedar
And it smelled good!

Hots Looking Good  :)

Taking a Break at the CCC Bathtubs (We hiked all the way to them and still have no idea what they actually are.)
A Boy & His Dog
This cracks me up b/c they have the same facial expression.



L went to check on the minnows this morning...
"They ah sweeping!  They ah okay!"
Um, I don't think they're sleeping...
"Aw, man!"
Playing Dead Man, Dead Man at the Park, Interestingly Enough 

(Serial Killer Guy was gone by then...as far as we could tell.)

Tess all Tuckered Out on the way Home
What a fun weekend!  Until next time!

1 comment:

Aunt Kathey said...

Tess just tuckered out at trying not to be diagnosed with a horrible disease which would warrant being "put down". Yikes, it is hard to stay alive in this family. Glad y'all had a fun time. Aunt Kathey