Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Few Things

I was relieved to have made it home alive today since I'd left my kitchen in shambles.  Absolute shambles.  No doubt everyone's concern upon my untimely passing would be focused on the state of my kitchen.

This morning was crazy as I cooked breakfast, made cranberry orange muffins for brunch, packed lunches for the boys, and made it out the door (on time), leaving a whole dishwasher load of dishes in and around the sink and one uber happy housefly.  "Eat your heart out," I called to him on my way out the door.

Seriously, if there's one room in my house I pretty much always leave clean, it's my kitchen.  Cue the OCD, which still exists in a few areas in my life.  As far as OCD's positive effect on rooms in my home, it's limited to my kitchen.  I'm not so particular about the rest, a fact which anyone who's dropped by unannounced is well aware.  But, the thought of dishes left out and any food particles at all is just too much.  I'm getting all anxious just thinking about it.

*Hand washing break*

I could harldy wait to get the boys down for their naps so I could dive into that disaster.  A good fifteen minutes from go-time, I was kicked back on the couch with the sound of the dishwasher humming in the background, ready to entertain you with this exciting account of my kitchen situation.

I apologize, but I feel better now that the fung shui in my kitchen has been restored.  If "fung shui" means a good, happy contentedness with one's kitchen, at least.

If you are still reading, the rest gets better-ish and I think there may even be a picture or two.

"Toof" Update
J already has a shiny new "toof" coming in after the traumatic loss of his baby tooth week-before-last.  We think he's excited about earning more $ for future tooth loss.  (For those of you who've suggested-directly to J-large payouts from the tooth fairy, we're happy to announce that she now has a cooperative which you are welcome to/may be asked to join if the suggestions continue.  You know who you are!)

We've Arrived!  
The day of my Bible study last week the weather was not good; lots of sideways-blowing rain and a 20+ degree temperature drop within an hour or so.

Can someone please tell me why I washed, dried, and fixed my hair this morning instead of skipping steps 1-3, sleeping in a little longer, and throwing on a hat on the way out the door since I was well aware of the weather situation?

The boys loaded themselves into my car, which was parked outside of the garage (I've taken to parking outside to leave lots of room for our riding toys and since rain has been so scarce.) so I got in just a little damp.

Now, how to best execute getting from the car to the church building without yelling at the children and entering my class completely drenched.

There is a covered drop off area, but when I drove into the parking lot there was already a long line and the rain was still blowing in sideways.  Hmmmm.

I drove around to the front entrance (with no cover) and pondered our situation.  Then it came to me!

J & L are pretty good at following my instructions and we were, after all, at a church, not Wal-Mart.  Plus, I witnessed another lady enter through those doors so I knew they were unlocked-that's important!

Me:  Okay, boys, since it's raining I'm going to let you out of the car and I need you to run to that door, open it, and stand right inside.  Do not leave the door no matter what.  If anyone asks you to go to your class or anything else, tell them your mom said for you to wait here.  You can watch me park the car and I'll be right back to get you.  Okay?

J & L:  Yes, ma'am.  

Me:  I know you can do this and follow my instructions.  You are big boys!

J & L:  We can do it, Momma!

I gave them instructions on getting out on the right side of the car and closing the car door, too.  They executed the plan flawlessly!  Wow.

Again, not Wal-Mart (I can't even fathom that at this point), but this was definitely exciting for me.  :)

It seems like just a few weeks ago that I was toting a 2-week-old and an 18-month-old through the pouring rain because I had to, so I just did.  Those memories are not far away and I am so thankful for big accomplishments on the boys' part like this and there are more and more each week, it seems.

Kindergarten
On the subject of milestones...I need a minute...okay, here goes!

Kindergarten registration was last week and the boys went with me to drop off the paperwork.  J has been very hesitant about the whole thing so we're really trying to talk it up and get him excited.

We even let him pick out his new backpack this morning (this is a great time to buy them, by the way, as they're on sale big time).

I voted pirate octopus (perhaps a little juvenile and not so grown up), B voted blue camo (common, but cute), and J chose snakes.

Here ya go:
Eeeew, but he seems excited about it, so that's good.  :)

L wanted to choose one, too, but we reminded him this is a Kindergarten privilege in our house and that he still has his cool robot backpack to sport until he's of age.  He seems satisfied and let us know several times this morning which one he'll choose "when I go to tool".


No comments: