Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Surgery #2 & Twins

Big day for us.  Brian had his second shoulder surgery in three months (same procedure, other shoulder) and then we came home to our first baby goats of the season-twins!

Here he is in pre op.

We sure do love our hospital; everyone is just great.  Hots' surgeon is also our good friend and Hots' fishing buddy and my cousin (also a good friend and fishing buddy) did his anesthesia.  Two of his nurses are friends of ours and were fabulous as well.  He was in good hands and the surgery went smoothly.  

Now we just have to endure the next 36 hours, but so far, so good; much better than the previous one.  

I'll summarize the first post surgical experience for you.  

Procedure went well and for the first 48 hours Hots was in excruciating pain (expected), heavily drugged, and cheerfully waited on hand and foot by me.  I'd prepared myself for weeks through prayer and personal pep talks to earn Wife of the Year for taking such great care of my man and happily put my best caretaker foot forward.

For 3-4 days I cheerfully tended him, dropping everything many times-we're talking supper on the stove, helping kids with homework, etc.-to meet his every want and need which was all fine and dandy except that I was getting zero sleep because I wanted to thought I should sleep in the room with him but am a super light sleeper and heard every noise he made, thus getting no rest.

On Day 4 (of no sleep) when he told me for the sixteenth time, "You're pretty lucky that I've basically been taking care of myself," I thought I would snap.    

My cousins took the boys for the weekend just in time and I booted SK from her room and moved in. I was a normal functioning human being by morning.  Thanks to the drugs, Hots had no recollection of having told me that.  Or so he says...

This 'round he's been much better thus far and I'm so thankful for that.  Lots of prayer!

We got home today around 2:30 and these little girls were brand new!

L with "Oakey"
SK with "Blacky"
Good day and I am thankful for a successful surgery, friends in the medical field, our small town hospital, a currently comfortable husband, our village, and cute baby goats!

No comments: