After several hours of work we headed to Chicken Express (where we may or may not be considered regulars) for a late lunch; Mom and me looking like we'd put in several hours picking up glass and digging potatoes out of the mud. (Hail post to come.)
On the way to my car at home before we left, SK fell on the sidewalk and cut her right hand (probably on the one shard of glass we'd missed). As usual, I didn't make a big deal about it and handed her several paper towels on the drive there with the promise of a band-aid upon arrival.
We ordered, sat down, and I put that band-aid on. She ate her roll and then started getting really fussy, acting like she wanted something from my mom. So I encouraged her to use her words, but she kept fussing and was just unsettled.
We were trying to figure out why she was so fussy and what she wanted when Mom noticed and remarked that she looked pale. I looked at her and then noticed her lips turning blue at which point I went from being frustrated at her whining to terrified.
She wasn't choking and it didn't look like an allergic reaction, so I was baffled.
I knew we had to get her to the hospital as soon as possible and driving her there myself would be much faster than waiting for EMS so Mom went with me to hold her in the car and we left Grandmama with a table full of food. (Sorry, Grandmama!)
Her condition declined in the car as she became more sedate and clammy.
I parked in front of the emergency entrance, ran around to the passenger side, and took her from Mom. I rushed in and waited 6 seconds behind the lady in front of us before saying, "I'm so sorry, but she just turned blue," in a surprisingly calm voice. (She wasn't limp and did not appear to be in respiratory distress.)
The lady with a cut on her hand in front of us was very concerned and moved aside immediately and I looked at SK whose lips were beginning to pink back up.
They put us in a room and within a couple of minutes she was back to normal.
Mom came in to find her playing with the extra stickers from her EKG and looking like her regular self.
I'd called Hots on the way to the ER and he arrived shortly after Mom had. His face told me he was skeptical-to put it lightly-as to whether or not this had been a true emergency since SK appeared totally normal and healthy as she greeted him and ordered me to "get off my bed, Momma."
In a turn of good fortune (obviously second to the fact that SK wasn't being airlifted to San Antonio) Grandmama flew in, visibly shaken, just after Hots had arrived. And that was enough to convince him how scary SK's episode had been to us all.
The physician who saw her was just as fantastic as the nurses and suggested she snap our pic because, "Four generations!" she exclaimed.
We were all feeling MUCH better by this point.
A few more hospital pics
I let Grandmama sit down for a few minutes before I asked if she'd packed up all that food with which we'd left her.
"Of course," she said. "Remember, I was raised during the depression."
After about an hour of observation, a 6-pk of crackers, and some apple juice, they cut us loose and we headed home where-I could not make this stuff up-a wasp stung SK's left hand and I wondered if it was bedtime yet.
Bath time took her mind off of the sting and we enjoyed some family time in the evening.
Daddy is worn out.
We are thankful to God for taking care of our girl. We're pretty smitten with her, the four of us. :)
Now, you've heard it said that challenging times often come in threes so you can imagine it was concerning when I only counted to two last night; hail storm + ER trip.
Well. Number three appeared this morning in the form of water running into our house from underneath both staircases so two things: I'm typing this post and finally eating that Chicken Express meal I never got to eat yesterday in between using the wet vac and sopping up water with towels. Here's hoping three is THE number. The number that ends the craziness that has been our last 36 hours.
Stay posted for Parts I and III.
Part I: Hail in Kerrville
Part II: Little Miss Blue Lips/Hell in Kerrville
Part III: When it Rains, it Pours (sometimes under the staircase)
1 comment:
Well, I just cannot imagine hail so big or hard to break a sky light. I have two so now I am going to be worried about ours. Thanks.
I know how you felt with SK. LeAnna has done that since she was little and still to this day I don't want her in charge of my health in case she passes out and the doctor has to tend to her and I am dying. Some people are just like that. Blood, the sight of pain, the smell of a hospital can send them into blue lips and passing out.
But I want to give credit to you and SK. Her hair looked beautiful. Her smile is precious. The dimples are to die for.
Glad everything is looking up or I guess this morning down with at the floor. Always something!
Post a Comment