Friday, January 15, 2016

Baby Goats by the (3/4) Dozen

Next time we're bored waiting for baby goats to be born we'll send Kaydie away for a week since apparently that's the catalyst for inducing kidding.

Before she left we had four babies and now we have THIRTEEN.  Nine in less than one week.

Friday morning SK and I found one whose mom had been on my watch list.  Then Monday (I think it was on Monday...) there was another who was not on my watch list.  I think now is a good time to throw in the towel on any future delivery predictions.

Freckles had hers Wednesday morning; a girl.
Then Dot had a beautiful HUGE billy that afternoon.  The boys and I found them, then J carried him back to the pens.
He was born with contracted tendons in his front legs, likely due to being so large which meant he was crowded in utero.

The boys were all excited about Dot's baby and I could tell immediately he was crippled.  But, before I grabbed my .22 I hit Google to see what we were dealing with.  I knew he had contracted tendons since he was walking on his knuckles, but wasn't sure of the treatment or prognosis.

Fortunately it sounds promising and I splinted both legs that afternoon (compliments of Christmas leftovers-a JC Penney box and some bubble wrap).  He's definitely improving, but has a ways to go, so we'll see.
All was quiet for the rest of the day and then Tivy didn't come up with the others last night.  Found her with these pretty little girls!
And this morning not five minutes after Hots and the boys left I found two goats who'd just kidded up in the pen.  The Spanish goat delivered the second twin right after I got out there.  Pretty exciting!  You can see one twin standing under her and the other on lying down by the feeder; one girl and one boy.
Here's the other one that was born this morning right next to the twins.  This momma was actually cleaning off the first twin (which was not hers) which confused me temporarily.  When I first got out there, there were two brand new wet babies side-by-side with both mommas tending to both of them. I separated her out so she'd get to know her baby; a boy.
H called this morning and asked if I am ready for the, "I survived kidding season," towel.  Well, H, since we're only halfway through, you may hold that thought.

1 comment:

Aunt Kathey said...

OMGOSH, you cannot say on here that you were going to get your 22 out for the baby who is special in GOd's eyes. I am so proud of you for fixing it. It's like Grand daddy's cows. You cannot name them and then part with them. Jack looks like he is a great helper and I bet Luke is too.
However, you are so busy with goats, I don't know how you do anything else. I was thinking Sadie Kay could come here for awhile. I promise I will give her "goat" attention and indulge her the entire time.
Will they still be kidding in spring? We want to fly down in the spring.
Just remember everytime you have another 13 you are living "the life". Go Barb Go!
Aunt Kathey