Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Goat Rock Ranch: Chicken Coop

We're finally moving past the house stuff (since we're waiting on other people presently) and on to the fun tasks-preparing for the chickens and goats!

If I haven't mentioned it here on the blog, I was ready to be finished with the inside stuff before we even started so I could start on fence work, the chicken coop, and the garden area.

Last week Mom and I worked on fence the days SK was at MDO and it was a blast!  We're both sore, but we're both loving it.  (I'll post those pics soon.)

Anyway, on Sunday after our nap we tackled the area around the old chicken house, picking up trash, weed-eating, mowing, and taking down the fence around it.

Here are a couple of before pics.  
I only realized right now that the angle of this pic doesn't really show anything except the proximity of the chicken house to the garden.  We'll have a chicken size gate leading from the coop directly into the garden for the off season.
I took two after pics, only one of which shows our progress (and not very well).  Good news-We salvaged several staves and a couple of good posts to use elsewhere.  Those are propped against the garden fence on the left.
The boys played and helped and SK finished her nap before coming out to play.  

She toddled up to us and was so proud of herself for this find.
Poisonous berries?  Nope.  Deer dung?  Yes.  Yes it was.
Good news:  SK dropped it almost too quickly for me to get a pic.

And for the bad news I'll include our supper time conversation.  (All 3 kids are seated at the table and have started eating.)

Me:  Did you wipe her hands?
Hots:  Uh, no.  Did you?
Me:  Nope.

Then the better parent scrambled for a wipe and made a last ditch effort to help us feel better about the whole situation.  

Stay tuned to see if we're in the market for baby wormer.  

1 comment:

Aunt Kathey said...

Oh My Gosh. I am about ready to come and get SK. I love the fact you and LeAnna and now Sarah are boys Mom but honestly SK is our one shot at a Bell girl.
Deer dung, I just learned that nice word recently. I have always used the other one because "Hey, it just fits".
Mercy, I am hyperventilating. Have you watched The Gilmore Girls? Well, for whatever reason I had missed it (guess it was at a busy time of life). BUT, I love it. I want her to have a baby deer and a puppy and a baby goat and a BABYDOLL.
Then she will learn to be a fabulous Mom like YOU BARB!
Love,
Aunt Kathey