Hots and I are (and have been for weeks now) done with everything we needed to do inside and are still waiting on various workers to finish all sorts of things. No, I still have no functioning kitchen, though we do have working sinks in our bathroom now.
So, about three weeks ago I learned how to use a chainsaw in a before-work-tutorial by Hots. Mom and I started clearing the fence line of limbs and trees that day. (And I called my dad to assure him we were taking all precautions and being very careful before this post was published.)
I think we figured out that it took about 8 and 1/2 hours to clear the entire perimeter of the 38 acres; 5.5 of which Mom and I did together and another 3 with Hots involved.
Fortunately the man who owned the property previously had spent years-lots of years-clearing cedar, trimming cedar and oak trees, building rock terraces (we've estimated there to be around 40 on the property), and making all sorts of other improvements up until his death 3 and a half years ago.
Now all we have to do is maintain it. ;)
Mom, Hots, and I have also had some help. (If you are associated with CPS or Elder Abuse of America stop here.)
I called Grandmama and asked her if she'd like to come supervise. Or sit on the deck with a glass of tea. Or sit in the shade and keep us company. But she said she'd rather haul brush. So she did.
How will I ever be able to enjoy my golden years with this heritage? Hauling brush, peeling wallpaper, painting a house, and babysitting 3 wild great-grand kids on a regular basis doesn't really line up with my dream of the way I plan on spending my later years (day in and day out on the porch in my rocker sipping sweet tea and watching the hummingbirds). It is truly a treasure working with my mom and grandmother out here and I'm loving every minute. :)
This week we started replacing cedar staves along the perimeter fence. Here is Kaydie on one stretch.
We started with 120 and think we'll need about 50 more to complete the job. Not sure how many we've replaced, but we're making a dent!
Next up-chicken house remodel with an added coop and also our horse and goat corral!
2 comments:
I really do not understand the fun of hauling brush. I would be pouting and whining. Perhaps that is why I am here and never get to go to the deer lease ( BTW, I praise God for that).
Is it not hot there? Is there more of a breeze than is in Tyler? Do you have a swimming pool to jump into after a days work? Do your boys ever cry?
Just a few of Aunt Kathey's questions. I bet "Hots" is really earning his name with being "hot as I know it".
House is looking so good. So happy for y'all. Will we ever see you again this side of Mexico?
Love you.
They lean more toward whining than crying and Hots is pushing for a pool (way down the road). Come visit us!
Post a Comment