Monday, July 6, 2015

The Ugly House Project: Progress at a Snail's Pace

We're still waiting on several of the workers to finish odds and ends throughout the house, as well as several things in the kitchen like the kitchen.  See?
See the old door?  It'll separate the kitchen from the pantry and I'm taking suggestions on the color I should paint it.  I can't decide whether to paint it a fun color or to leave it as is, covering the chipping paint with a coat of wax as suggested by a couple of people who have seen it in person.

The door came from the Peters' home place and is very special to me.  I'd originally planned to use it as a decorative piece at our house in Bryan, but there just wasn't a place for it so it stayed in the garage unused taking up space and weighing on Hots' mind.  You can imagine how thrilled he was to move it here.  ;)

We wanted to have a door separating the kitchen and pantry and I'd been to Habitat Restore (How had I never heard of them before moving here?!) a couple of times with no luck when Hots suggested the Peters' door.  And what do you know, it's the exact size we need!

I'm so happy to have the door displayed and functioning.  Two birds with one stone.  :)

The lower walls and cabinets will be white and you can see the gray up high.  The pendant above my sink (to the right in the photo) is made of 3 telephone insulators that are green.  So I've committed to the insulator green and white thus far.  I'd love to work in some blue and possibly some shade of red if possible.

The counter top guy finally framed on Thursday; a week later than planned and I'm trying very hard to forget that if he'd been on time I'd be cooking away in my very own kitchen and not washing dishes in the guest bathroom sink.  Or eating cereal (or yogurt) and sandwiches every single day.

First World problems...
He poured today!!!
It should dry a little lighter than this and will be smoothed some more after it's dry.
And all I have to do is keep everyone in the house far away from it, as one empty coffee cup or little fingers lightly touching it would be catastrophic (according to the concrete guy).  I'm no seer, but this has all sorts of potential for disaster.  Fingers crossed.  Threats made.

The living room is primed and ready for the painters to finish up after the counter top guy is done, but you can get an idea of where we're headed; primed paneling will be white soon and the walls up top are gray with a hint of tan.  Oh, and the scaffolding is now gone from my living room.
I leave you with a pic of my other counter top.
This one should go in later this week and I'll have a functioning kitchen by Monday.  Can't wait.

1 comment:

Aunt Kathey said...

Barb, I am amazed at the house. The telephone insulators are so great and the Peter's door is outstanding. I have been looking at chalk painting my breakfast table. I love the look and you can rough it up in places so when or if (when in you case) the kids bump it etc it will look just rustic and hill countryish.
I love your house. Makes we want to start again. Sort of.
Can't wait to see. It's summer so have a pizza on paper plates. Forget washing up dished in the bathroom and just wing it.
Oh by the way, we have Lillie this week. The only time she is not talking perfectly is when she is sleeping or thinking up the next drama bit. I was 44 when Jonathan was born and now almost 62. Big difference, huge! She is a doll but a drama queen in body language and her bottom lip almost reaches the floor. But if you suggest something else she just pops up and says sure! Mercy!
Love,
Aunt Kathey