Tuesday, February 26, 2013

(Strawberry) Jam Time!

Making strawberry jam is about as jammin' as I'll ever get.  But you all know that.  :)

We just ran out of homemade strawberry jam yesterday so I bought 4 lbs of fresh (as fresh as we can get in TX, anyway) strawberries and made more tonight.
Just like the last time I made it, I feel compelled to remind you how simple/easy/(almost) fail-proof the whole process is.  And the final product is a much healthier alternative to store-bought jam and jelly.
This time I used my blender instead of my food processor for some reason which I cannot remember.  It worked great since I like my jam smooth with no lumps and the boys were excited to help by pushing buttons on the blender.
The 4 lbs of strawberries actually made 8 & 1/2 jars of jam.  I just snapped a pic of these 5.

It took a couple of times eating it to get used to jam without loads of sugar + who knows what, but now we LOVE it and try to avoid buying the stuff at the store.  (Hence a middle-of-the-week jam session.)

As always, saving $$ is a motivator for me and these jars worked out to a cost of less than $1 each.  Pretty good deal!
I did have my first fail (out of the 3 times I've made it-I'm sure there are many more to come) in that the bottom of one of my jars blew out during the hot water bath.  Guess I'll spring for that metal rack you put on the bottom of the pot.

Here's the address to the recipe* and instructions:  http://www.simplebites.net/sugar-free-honey-strawberry-jam/

*I use about 1/3 of the amount of pectin for which the recipe calls.

2 comments:

askow said...

I want to try this! why do you use less pectin?

Barb said...

I hope you will! I like mine less congealed than normal and I've gotten my pectin out of the clearance bin each time so I've had 3 or 4 different kinds that aren't just plain pectin. Because of that, I've had to guess on the amount and went on the lighter side. I've even used freezer jam pectin in the recipe b/c it's what I had.