Saturday, February 2, 2013

Odds & Ends

Barb from the Gym-Wait, Who?
I was totally caught off guard last week when the mom of one of J's classmates introduced me as "Barb, from the gym.  She goes there all the time."

This was HILARIOUS (and confusing at first) to me since I really, REALLY don't like to work out.  Over the past two years I've bribed myself with the privilege of getting new workout attire every so often, but only after I've proven I'll stick with it.  Apparently I'm motivated by bribes, which I never knew since bribing was not part of my parents' parenting strategy.  (Thank you, Mom & Dad.  Seriously, thank you. :)

Ranch Hand for Hire
The other day the boys and I found a 3-4 day old calf on the wrong side of the fence near our house.  It must have laid down right up next to the fence and somehow gotten under it, ending up on the other side.

I pulled over and got out, doubting I'd be able to catch it and noting there were no gates anywhere close.  Using my vintage basketball skills I was able to catch and throw the calf, then carry it 3 fence lengths to an area that had a little more room between the bottom wire and the ground.  He was HEAVY! And the fence was top notch; no loose wire anywhere.  I'm not used to working under those circumstances.

There were cattle on both sides of the road; 95% black on the S side and multi-color crossbred cattle on the N.  This little guy was light red with a white face.

I threw him again when we got to the spot (he'd promptly stood up when I laid him on the ground), then sat on him, holding his front leg with my knee on his flank (just like Mr. Peters showed me) and looked both ways, hoping someone would drive by to help.  No luck, but one more throw later, I somehow got him shoved under that fence.  Turns out he had no interest in lying flat on his side so I could slide him under the barbed wire.

Here's hoping my deductive reasoning/animal genetics class led me to the correct pasture.

Girl Scout Cookies
Each year I look forward to Girl Scout cookie season-what a great followup to Christmas!  When I taught school I ordered from the first student who approached me.  And she was happy, happy by the time I completed the order form.

When I stopped working, I'd order from different people until I settled on our sweet friend, S, about 3 years ago.  We LOVE her and she doesn't judge me for the amount of cookies I order, which I will not share here. I no longer feel it necessary to use an alias on the form.

Every year B also orders cookies from a coworker's daughter.  Every year we have too many cookies (wait, there's no such thing).  Every year I pretend to be put out with B for ordering without consulting with me since he knows I always order cookies and now we have ___ boxes.  Every year I'm glad he orders, too, so we each get plenty of our faves.  Hey, they freeze well!

On Growing Up
Me:  J, you just can't grow up!
J:  No, Momma, it's okay because you'll have grandkids.
Me:  Pleeeeaaaase don't grow up!
J:  It's OKAY, because you'll have GRAND-kids!


3 comments:

daddyO and honey said...

just love to hear your words -- it makes me miss you, you are such a great mom and have so many stories!! peace to you!!

NPC Introduction to Digital Photo said...

So next Thanksgiving we can check the freezer for GS Cookies? Not like there isn't enough great deserts to eat at Thanksgiving.

Uncle Mike

Janie said...

J knows it's a good thing to have GRANDkids because he loves being one!