Yesterday I made this call to B, who was almost to the Aggie game (and that's all I'll say about the game), "Your son-the one who looks like you-just locked the garage door with J and me outside."
Fortunately for him, I pointed out, I was making that call from my cell phone and was now inside the house.
Here's the back story:
I was in the garage loading up several pieces of artwork into my car (I have SOOOO much to share regarding that-pics to come!) and J & L were going in and out of the house through the open door.
J: Momma! Wuke won't wet me in!
Me: (I ignored him the first couple of times before stating the obvious.) Just open the door, J.
J: But I can't!
Then it slowly starts to dawn on me. I head to the door and, sure enough, it is locked...just like the only other two doors to our house. Lovely. B is almost to Kyle Field where cell phones rarely work on game days and he has the only other key. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to head all the way back out here-assuming I could get in contact with him-to unlock the door.
Me: (trying to remain calm as not to upset him-you know that was challenging-and speaking v e r y slowly) L, I need you to unlock the door.
I hear him trying to turn the lock and I repeat myself. Click. Now both the bottom lock and the deadbolt have been secured in the lock position.
Me: No, no, L, I need you to undo what you just did. Unlock the lock on the doorknob and try to turn the top lock really hard.
L unlocks the bottom lock (Good boy!) and starts working on the deadbolt. He soon got it turned in the right direction and we were able to let ourselves back in. Sixty-eight seconds is a LONG time when a two-year-old is locked inside alone. Phew!
I praised him mightily for obeying and for following directions so well. And then I told him, making sure J heard, too, that if "you ever, I mean ever, touch any locks on any doors again, you will be in HUGE trouble."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment