Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Day in the Life

The terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day. Okay, it wasn't that bad, just a bit more challenging than usual with lots of humorous happenings I don't want to forget. :)

This morning I'd had my shower and was putting on makeup when J ran in.

J: "Wuke poured out the Cheerios! Wuke poured out the Cheerios! Wuke poured out the Cheerios!"

This was clearly impossible since I do not allow the boys to touch anything on the counter without first asking permission.

Well, here ya go.

And I'd just opened the super sized box yesterday.

'Wuke' earned and received 3 spankings today; all before 11:00. One is obvious. The second one occurred soon after he'd recovered from the Cheerio spill*, and I cannot remember the circumstances that necessitated the 3rd, but rest assured it was legit.

He was standing on his little potty (more on the potty later) touching the electrical outlet. I gently reminded him that we do not touch electrical outlets and he immediately stuck his pointer finger out and touched it again. Right in front of my face.

*I, however, did NOT recover from the Cheerio spill as I'd spent the time I should have been drying my bangs sweeping up about a million Cheerios. In case you didn't know, I have a severe cowlick situation-3 cowlicks, people!-across the front of my already high forehead and there is a very small window in which I must dry my bangs in order to have any sort of control over them.

Today I walked around looking as if an actual cow had licked my hairline.

Did I mention that they emptied the entire toy box, as well as the plastics drawer in the kitchen?

Lunch was uneventful. Or maybe I just don't remember.

Then there was a potty situation of which I'll spare you the details, but it set me back a few minutes and involved a mop.

Off we go to pick up Grandpapa, who was hanging with us for the afternoon. We take the boys to McDonald's to play with no issues, other than the fact that another little boy got aggressive with J, pulling his shirt, then pushing him off of the landing. Of course I don't like (at all!) for my sweet boys to be picked on, but, honestly, I am just glad J wasn't the assailant.

Nap time goes well (I got to work on my Thanksgiving post.) until both boys awake with terrible attitudes and want to be held, both crying hard.

What can you do? I pick both of them up at the same time. There I stand in L's room holding 60+ lbs of crying boys, appreciating the fact that the number of boys is equal to the number of arms I have, when...

J: (whining) "I smeel somethin stinky." (pauses, then wrinkles his nose and points at L) "It's Wuuuuuke. It's Wuuuuuke. I smeel somethin stinky and it's Wuke! Put him down! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

I turn my head over L's and laugh quietly, then head to the couch holding them both.

They cry when I suggest we head outside to play, so we read Peter Rabbit twice.

Then they cry because they want to go outside.

We head outside and I tell them, "Please do not get in the water or the mud," which covers an area of about 4 square feet of our 2+ acres.

Yep, yep.



I strip both boys on the porch and they're in the tub by 5:30.

I then start macaroni on the stove, which boils over onto my freshly cleaned stove top while I was picking up the mud I'd tracked in all over the house. And I never track in.

I get the macaroni under control and put it on the boys' plates with their beef and fruit, then put some aside as a special treat for myself.

At this point, the boys are done and ready for their pjs and supper. I dry them off, get L headed toward his room, and J needs to go potty. "I'll be right back after I put a diaper on L," I tell him.

Five seconds later, J starts yelling at me from the bathroom. I (nicely) tell him I'll be there as soon as I finish w/ L. He continues to yell in an ugly, demanding voice. When I get to the bathroom, I ask if he heard me tell him I'd be there shortly. "Yes," he says. "Why did you continue to yell, then?" "I jus wantid to hear yer voice, Momma." And I'm glad I responded politely EACH time. :)

Finally, with everyone at the table, I dive into my macaroni, which does not taste right. I'm almost finished w/ my serving when I realize I had not added butter. Well, heck.


Here are some pics of those sweet little boys playing in the sandbox, which happened shortly after the muddin' incident and before bath time. I love these guys and treasure every moment I am able to spend with them. :) Lots of laughs and innumerable blessings around here each day, no matter how crazy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't see the picture of the cowlicks, maybe you'll add that later. Or do we have to go to Kay to get one of those pictures. Fun with the boys, It doesn't get any better than this.

Uncle Mike