Rhyme Time
I've been working with J for about the last 6 months on rhyming. To no avail. Or so I thought. We've mainly practiced in the car and here's how a typical 'lesson' would go.
Me: J, what rhymes with snack?
J: Yew-low rhymes with snaaack!
Me: No, Jack rhymes with snack and so do rack, smack, black, and yak. Now, what rhymes with blue?
J: Dog rhymes with blue!
Like I said, this went on for 6 months.
Then, just the other night (over 2 months ago, now-when I originally began this post) while we were getting the boys ready for bed, J began rhyming lots of different words. Just like that. I suppose a light bulb just turned on.
The Baby Brother/Sister Conversation (NO, We're NOT Having Another One)
Me: J, do you want another little brother or sister?
J: No.
His response has been EXACTLY the same for the past year. So...I tried a different approach, using his friend's newborn brother for leverage.
Me: J, do you want a little brother like Breeley's brother, Beau?
J: Yes. (wait 6 seconds) He doesn't bite, does he?
Can't Fault the Boy for Being Honest
One day last week he came to me and told me something that sounded iffy.
Me: J, are you telling me the truth?
J: No, I am not.
Trippin'
One day last week J asked me to come to his room so he could show me what he'd 'packed'.
J: Look, Momma, I packed everything to go to Florida. (As he proudly stands behind his pile of stuff; including 4 pillows, a pair of tennis shoes, some random toys, a pair of pjs, and, of course, his pistol.)
Me: Oh, wow. When are you going to Forida?
J: I'm going in the morning.
Me: Who is going with you?
J: Bepe, Gran, Ben, Kate, Ryan, Cori, & Chad are going with me.
Later that day he informed me we would be going, as a family, to Blackberry Farm on Tuesday. (That's where JoJo and Pops were at the time and he thought we should join them. Also our honeymoon spot, but more on that later.)
A Wild Hair
As we were getting out of the car at church Wed. night, I commented to B that J really needed a haircut.
J: Momma, I wanna be wike Wuke.
Me: What do you mean?
J: Is Wuke ever gonna get a herecut?
B used that opportunity to remind me that I am not to cut L's hair under any circumstances because it's "awesome."
A Bit More
-Snakes are his passion right now, along with guns, swords, and his boots.
-J is fully potty trained; has been for a few months, now. He's been sleeping in big boy underwear for over a month, which is something we'd put off due to sheer laziness on our part. He's done great!
-J is super sweet to his little brother. Not that they don't have their moments, but J looks after L constantly and comforts/helps him when he's upset. J also enjoys teaching L anything and everything he knows. And they PLAY all the time. So fun to watch them interact. :)
-J loves to sing and often sings songs to me that he's made up.
-We've been in the 'why' phase for a while now and I'm learning to give all-inclusive answers to shorten the number of times he asks why in succession. One day I counted the number of questions he asked in a 2-mile stretch on the way home. Eight times. So, that's about 4 questions a minute. And that was a slow stretch. I LOVE that he's so curious, perceptive, and interactive.
-Some of our best communication happens in the car. He also wants me to spell every single sign we pass. Shout out to my mom, as I actually remember her spelling signs for me way back when and 'stop' is the first word I learned to spell that way. :)
I know these moments are precious and cannot believe my baby is 3 and 1/2 already. I'm sure he'll be off to college (A&M would be good the perfect choice, right?!) before I know it. What a blessing to spend as much time with him as I do. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment