Monday, May 9, 2011

Shout Out to Wickson...Yes, Again :)

A few weeks ago, as I was loading the trailer for my rodeo, J said, "We need to go get Wickson. He's my rodeo forse." (He still calls horses forses.)

I almost cried on the spot. J was so sincere about his request. Wickson is his 'forse', though not really, as he belongs to the Peters' and has for all of his 31 years. We talk about Wickson on a daily basis. J even named his bounce horse Wickson.

Wickson is a legit-and I mean legit-kid horse and, from what I've been told, always has been. As I was thinking through my blog post I told my mom that I'd come up with the following as a description of Wickson: Wickson doesn't get in a hurry to do anything...except _______. And I honestly could not think of anything to fill in that blank. No, he doesn't even get in a hurry to eat.

There are so many W stories that come to mind, but since few of you know him like I do, I'll spare you. Oh, okay, I'll tell a couple. :)

When B came into the pic, I was booted off of my ride, Buddy, who was a large, stout horse and bumped down (sorry, W) to W. Twice I got W into a hard run. I remember Mr. Peters remarking at how he was surprised to see W run. Once we were chasing wild hogs-oh, the fun!, and another time I was backing up Mr. P working cattle. And then there was the time I fell off of and under W in the pasture, riding bareback and leading another horse who'd decided to stop suddenly. W just stopped, which was about half a speed lower than his walk, and looked at me on the ground beneath him.

Thank you, Wickson, for taking care of my baby...and about 1,000 others over the years. :)

Here are a couple of repeat pics of J and Wickson. Thought they went well w/ this post.

Had to include this one b/c poor W isn't even really in the previous pic. Notice W's facial expression. It's always like that, photo op or not.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathey said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe he can ride a horse by himself. I love the pictures and I love the story. What a blessing the Peters have been in your life. And Luke is probably doing what I would do. Go to sleep very relaxing!
Aunt Kathey

Anonymous said...

A two more rides and he will pass me. Although I'm sure he's already spent more time in the saddle than me.

Uncle Mike