Monday, May 23, 2011

Potato Soup

A week ago, after waiting since March, I could wait no longer and dug up 3 of our potato plants. From those 3 plants, we got 38 potatoes! Marble size on up to small baking size. Here's our official first potato. We're pretty proud!


Now here's a little perspective.


The group (not sure what you call a 'group' of potatoes)


What better to do with a bunch of potatoes than make potato soup? After looking at several recipes, I did a variation of them all and it was de-lish, if I can say so, myself. :)


Potato Soup (2 servings)
-2 servings of potatoes (We used 14 of our home-grown potatoes, marble-size to small baking. Not helpful, I know. :)
- approx. 2 c of milk
-2 slices of bacon
-parsley
-salt & pepper to taste
-sour cream
-shredded cheese
*Next time I'll saute a clove of fresh garlic with minced onion and add that.

Fill pot with enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. Peel and cut potatoes into chunks and place in boiling water.

While the potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in a separate skillet, then crumble the bacon and set aside both bacon and bacon grease.

When the potatoes are tender, pour off 1/2 of the water. Add milk, bacon grease, parsley, and salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes, then serve with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crumbled bacon. Enjoy!

No comments: