Friday, February 25, 2011

Red Deer Update

Many thanks to my uncle, Ron, who identified the deer as red deer! (Now, some obvious questions: Are red deer and red stag the same thing? Or is red stag just a men's cologne? Or should it be a men's cologne?)

I started this post on Feb. 3rd and then forgot about it until today, so the days I reference are from the week I first saw them.

I saw all four of them again on Tuesday morning in a pasture near our house, bedded down by the road. They were there all day and then again all day Wednesday. And today I saw them grazing in the same area.

Several people suggested that I call someone to report the deer, fearing they may not be able to survive in the 'wild'. Since B and I are avid Wild Justice (on the National Geographic Channel) fans, I felt a bit obligated to report these unnative competitors of the whitetail. The game wardens out in CA would be all over something like this.

I spoke with a game warden in Austin who went into the whole when unnative animals escape from their high fenced ranches, they compete with our native wildlife speech. I think he was excited about the call, but don't think he has done anything about it since I saw the deer again just last week.

We'll see what spring brings!

No comments: