Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The (temporary) End of an Era

When we first moved back to CS, the bank B worked for gave us the hook up with Aggie basketball tickets-right behind the bench. They had several season tickets and, since we were wild and free without kids or a busy schedule, we were always available to go.

That was back in the Watkins era when tickets were plentiful. By the time Gillispie came into the pic we were hooked. I think it was in his second season that we bought our own season tickets, which we've had every year since.

Four years ago we moved seats and ended up right behind Mr. and Mrs. Walkup. B, being B, met everyone around us, including this sweet couple. Their grandson, Nathan, was a freshman on the team that year.

After almost 4 seasons, we finally met Nathan after the Iowa State game.


He may or may not have gotten the impression that I was star-struck (Or is it star-stricken?). Okay, he probably did when I asked if he'd sign my shirt. The back, of course. I'm a married woman!

While waiting for N to come out of the locker room, we met BJ and Dash, who were super nice and both shorter than me. I've told B this for the past few years, but nothing says, 'You're right, Barb,' like standing side-by-side with both of these guys. Just giving you a hard time, Hots. :)

Anyway, it's been such a pleasure getting to know the Walkups (We've also met several of their children and grandchildren.) these past few years. Also important to note, they've clothed both of our boys with Aggie duds as a baby gift. Whoop!

Next year they won't be here for the games, as N will graduate and they have another basketball-playing grandson who will play for SFA. We'll miss them a lot, but how exciting that they have another college athlete in the family. I think Mrs. W will look great in purple. :)

We plan to give up our tickets next year, so that's what the title is about. We'll miss the guys, but plan to reenter the college basketball arena when J & L are a little older.

No comments: