Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bastrop Camping Trip

Last weekend we took our first official Bowers Family Camping Trip to Bastrop. It was a blast and went well considering we had two toddlers in tow who'd never slept in a tent or a camper prior to this. It was also the first time we'd used our camper as a family-B took it deer hunting with some friends back in January.

I will say that we've never experienced such sleepless nights before; not even when we had newborns. Poor J had a terrible cough and was up much of the first night. He was so excited to sleep in Kaydie's tent, but started coughing in the middle of the night, which meant I had to make several trips to the tent to take him medicine, or 'med-sin,' as he calls it.

The second night we kept both boys in the camper with us and the third night L slept in the tent with Kaydie and J slept in the camper with us. We finally got a bit more sleep the third night. Enough about all that!

Mom and I took the boys and went early. That way we could find a good site and go ahead and get Mom's tent set up. Then she could watch the boys while B and I worked on setting up the trailer when he arrived. This is a plan we shall repeat.

First wild animal sighting of the trip


Checking out Kaydie's tent and air mattress-had to remind J that we don't jump on any bed...even an air mattress.


Taking a break before Daddy arrives.


First morning at the campsite-Boys and dirt. What can I say?


Nap Time! We did have to wait them out (and bring in some encouragement in the form of a wooden spoon) to get the end result, but then they slept well for a few hours.


Check out that pb&j unibrow!


Just in case you couldn't see all of the funk on his face.


Here we are about to go canoeing.


We didn't know it at the time, but J was getting sick and would have a fever before we finished our ride. That explains his facial expression in each pic. :( L crashed in his canoe for basically the entire ride, but the rest of us had fun paddling around.


This may be my favorite pic. I love how the life jacket strap pulls his little Carharts up. :)


The trails at the park were great for strollers and toddlers, so we enjoyed hiking several of them. L held Tess' leash for a moment while J wasn't looking.



J & Kaydie on our first hike. Right before this pic, I'd said, "Jack, you can stand on this tree stump!" He immediately ran to a tree across the trail and hugged it. Didn't get a pic of that.


Tess the (reluctant) tree hound.


L & Aunt Sarah dancing outside the trailer before supper. I joined in to show them a few of my moves...and Sarah thought I was having a seizure. So I stepped back and took some pics.



B's birthday was on Saturday and he'd requested my grandmother's strawberry cake. I'm working on that story and will have it posted in the next few days. Happy birthday, Hots!


It did taste good, which is pretty much all I can say. Like I said, more on the cake saga later.

We had a blast and cannot wait to go camping again soon. Mom kept telling us she appreciated us including her on our trip and B and I kept trying not to imagine having tried to do this by ourselves. Thanks, Kaydie, for all of your help! You, too, Aunt S!

3 comments:

MOM SPENCE said...

love it!! cant wait to join you guys on a trip at some point!!

daddyO and honey said...

oh, we have such wonderful memories of camping with the girls. glad to see you enjoying Bastrop!! Both there and Huntsville were some favorites! the pictures are adorable!!

Leigh T said...

I will stalk your blog until the cake saga is posted. can't wait...