He LOVED his costume and we were pretty happy with it, too. :)
Officially my favorite pic ever of Luke.
Reptiles at the CM
With our little cowboy :)
Story Time
All worn out!
At Trunk or Treat, "Woody" meets "Jessie."
The Costume Conundrum and An Emergency Call
I searched all over town, then the internet, to find Jack a shirt for his Woody character. No luck. I would have to make his shirt. (I've recently started sewing-2 whole pillows, thank you very much-and was perhaps a little over-confident.)
Both my mom and grandmother, who, for the record, have always thought I could do anything, had the same response, "Shirts are pretty challenging."
I pointed out that they'd always thought I could do just about anything, they felt bad and quickly reiterated that shirts are challenging, but that they were sure I could do it. Mom even thought she had a pattern I could use. Looking back, I'm sure they saw it coming-their direct involvement in this, my project. :)
I found some yellow fabric, hand-striped it with a fabric marker, cut out the pieces for the shirt using the pattern, and read through the instructions...none of which I understood. ('Basting' to me is a kitchen term.)
Sheesh. I put the cutouts in a pile and waited a few days before placing an emergency call to Grandmama. She would come the next day.
As it turned out (and it turned out well!) sewing a boy's shirt is complicated, especially for someone with my lack of expertise, and I learned A LOT just by watching her sew. I think when it was all said and done, we had about 8 man hours in this thing.
I now know how to 'baste' outside of the kitchen and will no longer consider myself to have been ripped off should I have to purchase a long-sleeved, button-down boy's shirt at full price from Old Navy. :)
And I LOVE the shirt! I turned out perfectly! Thanks, Grandmama!
4 comments:
You are right, that is an AWESOME picture of Luke...such a precious smile!
And WOW...that is one great looking shirt! I'm impressed. (And the fabric was dead-on...I can't believe you found some that looked JUST like Woody's real shirt). Great job! (Aren't patient, sewing grandmamas an awesome asset!?)
Ha ha! Yes, Angela, it's sooooo nice to have such a willing, capable helper.
I found the yellow fabric at Hobby Lobby and striped it with a red fabric pen. That was tedious!
Barb, the boys are just downright pretty. So cute and shirts are challenging. Now, about this snake and all. How will you teach the boys not to pick up the snake in the yard and play with it????>*&^%$#
Just curious and yes, a little worried for my great nephews.
Love you all,
Aunt Kathey
You go Barb! I'm impressed that you are sewing! I'm kind of taking up sewing as well...we'll see. The boys are adorable;)
Post a Comment