Yesterday we visited Grandpapa. He lives in a memory care center, which should help you understand some of the information to follow.
We greeted him as usual and I knelt beside his chair on the floor while SK crawled all over me and L sat nearby.
As is his practice J had brought a book and a couple of additional items to entertain the other residents who were seated in a circle across the room so he headed over there and I heard him start with the weather report, "Today it is sunny..."
At that point I turned my attention to Grandpapa and his new nurse who had just arrived and my back to J who was in his element informing the residents of all things Minecraft, weather, and who knows what else. Talk about a captive audience!
I was having an in-depth conversation with the nurse about Grandpapa while trying to appease the resident seated next to us who was absolutely certain the toy ball SK had was a real threat to everyone in the room. "Someone needs to take that away from her or someone's gonna get hurt," she said as she tried to take the ball from my 2-year-old who was not having it. I assured her it was a completely safe toy that was made for toddlers and just like SK she was not having it.
There were a few other side conversations with her as is usual during visits to memory care units, but I did have a very informative visit with the nurse as well and after about half an hour it was time to go.
I summoned J (who was now demonstrating all his best dance moves), we all hugged Grandpapa and told him bye, then headed for the door, passing by a sweet lady who was there visiting her husband. They were sitting away from the circle but she was very complimentary of the kids and said she especially enjoyed watching J.
I beamed with pride, thanked her, and said something like, "We're definitely the circus and J is in his element entertaining people."
We were just past the first security coded door and I was praising the kids for their excellent behavior when this happened. (If you're not around J much you need to know that he always speaks with great confidence. I tried to recapture this word for word.)
J: (most matter-of-factly) I just had to hypmotize that lady.
Me: What?
J: I had to hypmotize her.
Me: You had to hypnotize her?
J: Yeah. She kept asking me strange questions and when I answered her she asked them again so I had to hypmotize her. Then she just fell asleep.
At this point we were between the two doors and I stopped, confused, to make eye contact. J could tell I needed more info.
J: Old peoples' minds are messed up, right? So, I just sort them by their brain function. She has one eye that is functional and one that is not. What goes through their eyes goes to the brain. So I put my finger in front of her eye that works and just swirled it around-now you have to go this way (moving his finger in a clockwise motion)-or it won't work.
At this point I'm thinking, 'please tell me you did not put your hands on her,' while a Benny Hinn scenario played out in my mind.
J: Now you can't be too close or it won't work so you put your finger right here (demonstrating on L at a distance of about eight inches).
I think I drew breath for the fist time in since the beginning of the conversation.
J: This is scientifically proven. I've read about it. But I proved this. It's not that easy with people who have normal brains. I don't know how to do that.
I bet that complimentary lady just loved watching J-Ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am delightedly speechless.
God bless you, Barb!
Post a Comment