Wednesday, September 16, 2015

This & That

I'm behind in blogging so I'm posting some pics from my phone in an attempt to catch up.  Here goes!

Before we bought our place we regularly took day trips to various super cool places in the hill country.  After we bought the place those ceased to be since every spare second was spent on the house and the property.  

We've missed those adventures!

Sunday evening we finally got to see the bats at Old Tunnel Cave about thirty minutes from here.  (Our first attempt was too early in the season and our last one was rained out.)

Here is a view from the opening of the tunnel through which the bats-3 million of them-enter and exit.  We could see them swarming when we first got there, about 30 minutes before they started to emerge.
There was a very interesting program, none of which I heard since SK was acting terrible like a normal 18-month-old and couldn't be still and silent for half an hour.  "We've really got to work with her on that," Hots mentioned afterward.  Yep, let's get right on that...  

Luckily she and I were able to sit in a seating area right above the best seats where she could move around and make noise and I could barely see most of the bats.  Several flew within a foot or a foot and a half of my head, which was so cool!  SK was also able to see some of them.

Hots and the boys stayed down below in the best seats for which we'd bought tickets and LOVED the program, reporting all sorts of bat facts to me on the way home.  They could also see the bats very well due to their position in relation to the tunnel entrance.  HUGE success and I'd definitely recommend it!

Before we went to the tunnel we'd planned on eating at Alamo Springs Cafe but it was closed for the week so we followed the signs further into the middle of nowhere to eat at The Black Pig which turned out not to be as sketchy as one might assume.

Hots, SK, & L waiting for our food
J with me, sans makeup
Thankful for a daddy who's fun!


One of my faves  :)
The other day all three kids were practicing their ball handling skills right in the living room.  I was in heaven and somehow got them to pose for a photo opp.  

I love how SK is looking at her big brothers.

 Her face!  :)
The boys found this moth on our walkway and it was HUGE!
Had to snap a pic of J's boots next to my sandals.  This angle makes them look like the same size.  They're not, thankfully because I'm NOT ready for that!  Still, he's growing up so fast.
If only I could post the video of Hots and the boys wrangling an armadillo who was stuck at the corner of our backyard and the fence.  Alas, I cannot since they were in "classic armadillo wrangling garb," according to our friend, Brion, to whom we did send the video.

It was a Sunday morning and the dogs were going nuts.  I'd just stepped into the shower and gotten my hair wet when Hots came running in to tell me I just had to come see this thing.

I wrapped up in a towel and grabbed my phone.  As you know, documentation is important to me and I didn't want to miss whatever it was.

I was not disappointed!  All we needed the armadillo to do was run down the fence line about 4 feet and out through the gate.  He was not interested and continued to try to dig his way under the corner of the house.

The boys jumped around in their boxers helping just as much as the dogs were by barking non-stop and Hots tried gently with a garden tool to redirect the armadillo.  No luck.

"You'll just have to grab it," I yelled over the noise.  I'm so helpful.  ;)

Brave man, he did it!  The armadillo jumped straight up in the air with Hots following half a second later.  It was hilarious!

That was enough to get him headed in the right direction and he peeled out, rounded the corner, and headed under the deck.

What's the first thing you think of when you hear the word "armadillo"?  If you answered, "leprosy," then we're on the same page and I waited as long as I possibly could-you know me-to start the leprosy conversation with my man who'd just had his hands on that thing; approximately 4 seconds.

Naturally this new information was of some concern to him and he spent the entire worship service reading about leprosy through Google, not the New Testament.

You have NO IDEA how ecstatic I was to send him this photo I took in our front yard just a few days later.  (Yes, I pointed out the skin lesion on the deceased's rear leg.)
I'm horrible.

But he loves me.

And the truth is that if he does get leprosy, well, chances are it's too late for me, too, and we'll go down together.

Lots of great laughs around here!  (And a very tolerant husband.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you put this story out because your not ready for Thanksgiving and your trying to reduce the massive influx of relatives about to descend on Kerrville in just over two months. Well we're still coming.

Uncle Mike and Aunt Ann

Barb said...

And last night there was a full size tarantula on our living room wall! I'm not kidding and hate that I didn't take a picture. Nope, just making sure the facts are out there. :)

Anonymous said...

Aunt Annie says Brian only gets air hugs from now on.

Barb said...

Hahahahaha! I think that's generous. :)