Saturday, September 26, 2015

Last Week in Agriculture...

...was actually a very good week.  

And for that, I am thankful because I've just got to get off this emotional roller coaster so I can enjoy the goats.  

Maybe we should've stopped with chickens.  They have been so much fun and ZERO maintenance.  We're eagerly awaiting their first eggs!  I'll post pics soon.

Back to the goats.  Wait, a hay story first.

I found an ad on Craigslist for hay and it was local so I called the man.

Me:  My mom and I will be there on Friday to pick it up.
Man:  So two women are coming to pick it up?  (pause)  Am I gonna have to load it?
Me:  No, it's been a few years, but I'm certain we can load 35 bales of hay.  I have loaded and hauled hay in the past.
Man:  (completely ignoring that & still concerned)  Now, do you have a trailer?  
Me:  Yes, sir.
Man:  Is it hooked up?
Me: (pausing briefly to fight off the incredibly strong urge to reply with sarcasm)  I'll hook it up in the morning and call you then to touch base.

The Next Day

I called to touch base.

Man:  Now, do you have a trailer hooked up?

We arrived on time with trailer hooked up, which we'd done all by ourselves with no trouble.  Two women.  Actually, 4.  Grandmama was there on SK duty.  We laughed out loud at our idea to tell the man she an SK were there to load the hay.  

We followed the man to the hay, which was on a flatbed gooseneck trailer, reminding each other that we had to do this and do it well to prove ourselves to this man we didn't know and will never see again.  

I hopped up there to throw hay down onto our trailer, while Mom hopped on ours to stack it.  Off to a great start!

The man, who was easily in his sixties (not that that's old, but it is older than Mom and me) and was not in the same type of physical shape as Mom and me climbed up onto the trailer and insisted on throwing the hay.  

We were done in no time and we thought we did very well.  

He closed with this, "I'm just not used to working a women crew."

Well, to the men in my life who've "worked a women crew" with me on it, thank you.  (Dad, Mr. Peters, Grandpapa, Jeff, Brian come to mind.)  And to Tracy, HUGE thanks for showing me women-you, at least-can do just about anything!  

And with that, I'll draw that incredibly exciting long boring story to a close and move on with pics.  

After stacking the hay in the barn we drove it out into the pasture so the goats could clean it up.

Can you tell what you're looking at?
Here's a better view. 


 L, J, SK, & Dot

Hots with Dot Today  (He's embracing his inner rancher & is great at it!)

No comments: