Saturday, February 7, 2015

Goodbye, Ol' Stitch Lip

Hots took L back to the doctor's office early this morning to have his 3 stitches removed.

He had a basketball game at 9:00, so they got there early only to be told firmly, "We don't remove stitches on Saturday."  (I can tell she must have been a real gem; happy to work on Saturday morning.)

Hots told them that Dr. Davis had specifically said for him to "bring L back on Saturday to have the stitches removed by a nurse."

Unmoved, she repeated her previous statement and finally said she'd look at his file to see if the doctor had left a note.

No, of course not, and she told him it would be "at least a 45 minute wait, but we'll try to work him in" (since removing stitches takes less than 12 seconds).

Hots called to fill me in so I asked him to stop by Walgreen's and pick up a pair of those curved fingernail scissors on the way to the game.

"What?  Do you think you can do it without cutting him?  Are you sure about this?"

"Um, yes.  I've removed stitches multiple times on goats and dogs.  This is no different."

Hots was convinced done arguing shortly into my spiel so I was set to remove the stitches after L's game.

Me:  (grabbing L's little face with both hands)  Let me see Ol' Stitch Lip one last time.  What are we gonna call you after the stitches are gone?
L:  You can still call me Stitch Wip for the west of the day and then Luke tomorrow.

Fortunately Nonnie and Papa Jim were here to encourage and distract L (more on their visit later!) and the stitches were easily accessible.

Snip x 3 and they were out.  No tears, no blood, and most importantly I'd proven to Hots I could do it without re injuring him, which is the main point.  Kidding. :)

I'm thinking home stitch removal will probably save us many a return trip to the doctor over the next 18 years.

No comments: