Friday, May 9, 2014

Color Up 5K-What?!

When I was 7+ mos pregnant with S a friend sent me info about an upcoming 5K.  She was putting together a team and wanted to know if I'd be interested.

You may already be confused since I am NOT a runner.  I am, however, a HUGE fan of a good/cheap deal (and donuts-more on that later) and this one was impossible to pass up.  Plus I've always wanted a race shirt.

K included the details of the "race" which were as follows:  
-registration would be half price with the coupon code she sent
-race t-shirt & sweatband (haven't seen one of those since the '80s)
-temporary tattoo
-moral support via our team

Honestly, it was probably the t-shirt that sealed the deal. 

And as a special bonus a couple of months before the race, but after I'd registered, I overheard a real runner discussing the Color Up saying, "Well, if you're not really into running it's okay."  Cha-ching!   

It would be 3 mos after I had the baby, which would be plenty of time to train (and I use this term loosely). 

So I enthusiastically signed up and spent the following 5 months eating whatever I wanted and taking it easy, but counting both natural childbirth and taking care of 3 kids as part of my training.  I'm proud to share that I went on a total of 2 actual practice runs (1 mi & 1.5 mi) in the 2 months prior to the race.

Now you understand why I didn't make the Color Up announcement one second before I'd completed it.    

Hots was super supportive and brought all 3 kids out to cheer me on!  (Probably figured this could be the first and the last time they'd see Momma run!)
Almost there!  (I'd had to stop and walk around the 2.75 mi mark b/c my knees were done, but was able to walk and sprint in intervals from there on.)
It was an absolute blast!  The color throwers were very nice and didn't give me any face paint.  

There was a college couple in front of us going into the second color tent and I noticed they raised their arms and did several spins as they ran through.  I knew better than to spin, but figured I should hold my arms up through each tent following their lead.  (I'm definitely a follower.)

The only paint that stained was the pink that had gone into my sleeves, thanks to my arms being raised, and onto my armpits.  Lesson learned.

Our Team Post-Race (K, on the far right, kicked tail and was first to cross the finish line.)
With the kiddos 

So sweet of them to cheer me on!  Hopefully we can run one as a family sometime soon.  :)

I had so much fun that I'm dying to do another, but I was in excruciating knee pain for the rest of the day; we're talking serious limping.  

Fortunately cousin Mollie was in town for Grant & Bonnie's wedding (pics to come!) and she set me up with some resistance bands and several exercises to strengthen my quads equally.  Yea for that consult and exercise plan.  Hopefully I'll be ready for the next one.  Thanks Mollie!

We had the wedding that evening and I snapped a pic of my Aunt Karyn's car as I limped in.  She did The Ironman a few years back.  Hard-core = Aunt Karyn  
I wonder if they make a 3.2 sticker?







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Sister! Super impressed. I'm still working on getting a patent for my 0.0 bumper sticker