Monday, August 19, 2013

Selah Springs Ranch

In July we spent 8 days with Hots' fam in the Hill Country at Selah Springs Ranch.  It was fabulous!   

The Cousins at the Bar for Breakfast
On the Front Porch overlooking the River
Hots ready to head down to the river
Here we go!
This guy!  He's always working on his moves.  :)



We caught minnows and frogs.

L's ready!
Sweet B  :)
"Wattle-snakin'", as L calls it, on the ranch roads in the evening
L, R, & Aunt C

L gearing up to take the plunge

Wa-hoo!
Sweet K, the only girl...for now, anyway.  :)
J took the plunge!

R riding the rapids
K & R

We put Tess in for a quick swim-she hates to swim-so she'd be all fired up.  For some reason, common to most dogs, I think, she goes nuts running around and playing after she's taken a dip.  Missy couldn't contain herself at the sight of Tess in the water and rushed out to join her.  Tess was less than thrilled and here she is clamoring for dry land over Missy's back.

She headed straight for some grass to dry off.

J & L

JoJo, Aunt C, & Pops watching the river action

Hots, R, & L
K looking for minnows.
J
L maneuvering through the water

B and Uncle C
One morning we went on a cave tour.  Our guide, Mr. Phil, took us to the area and asked us to guess in which direction the cave was located.
We each pointed in a direction we thought the cave might be.  Hots won with J in a close second.  So J won the prize-a genuine rattlesnake rattler!  Super cool!
Heading to the cave
When we got to the opening of the cave, Mr. Phil told some interesting facts about it.  A deer hunter (who was searching for a wounded deer) found the very small hole about 2 years ago.  Mr. Phil and a friend began excavating shortly after, by first widening the opening.  I think it's sooooo neat that we got to see it at this stage of excavation!

This, folks, is the hole through which we entered.  I'm sooooo claustrophobic, so I had to do my mind over matter exercise (Remember when I zip-lined in Costa Rica?) to ensure I didn't miss this opportunity.
J was the first one in; another perk of his correct guess on the cave location.  He went in like a champ!
L was enthusiastic, too!
Hots went in first...good thing he's several sizes smaller these days!
Mr. Phil & J
L & J with Mr. Phil
The newly excavated wing
Pops heading in 
L picked up one of the actual deer bones that led to the discovery of the cave a couple of years ago.
Proof that I went in.  I'm so glad I did-Soooo interesting!
Pops & JoJo with the Grandkids
Family Photo (Hots may be sitting on a cactus.)
We roasted marshmallows on the front porch in this fabulous outdoor fireplace.  The kids LOVED it and we adults ran fire patrol successfully; no hair went up in flames.  :)


J wielding his mongo marshmallow roasting stick.  Several of us hit the floor as he waved this new found weapon like Donatello waves his Najinata.  We discussed weapon safety with him and I'm happy to report that no eyes were lost that night.



Is it just me, or does he look like he's two years old in this one?

One of our many hikes down to the river
                                                

There were rock formations along the river.  Here is one that had something inside...
                                     

...and it was scarier than we'd imagined!  Tess enjoyed exploring, too.
Did I mention that Missy was in absolute heaven?
                                      

Hanging out in the Pool
                                      

Tess & Missy at the gate ready for our evening walk
Thank you, JoJo & Pops, for yet another fabulous family vacay!  Fun, fun, fun time with the cousins!  We love you guys!

No comments: