On Saturday our friends, C & C, invited us to hunt outside of Rosebud. The boys' first dove hunt was a HUGE success. They had a blast!
C & C encouraged us to bring the boys and were super accommodating, patient, and included J & L in everything, which was great since we want them to grow up enjoying and appreciating hunting as B and I have.
We got situated around a tank, where the boys walked at least 10 miles in the couple of hours we were there; traipsing through mud, 'helping' Remi retrieve, and asking 1,000 questions not in a whisper. Love watching them enjoy childhood-brings back great memories of my own and hunting w/ my dad. :)
As far as a first hunting trip for a 4- and 2-year-old, dove hunting is perfect, as it doesn't require them to do the opposite of what comes naturally: staying still and quiet. (I think we've got a better idea of whether or not they're ready for deer hunting this season.)
Here they are 'helping' C (who tagged the first dove, by the way) reward Remi for retrieving the bird. She turned to me and discretely said that they give Remi the head as a reward/motivator for her retrieving, and asked if it was okay for the boys to see that. "Of course!" I said. J enjoyed treating Remi to a couple more heads later in the hunt.
I didn't get many good pics (most of the good ones are from B's phone), but here's one that gives a glimpse of the level of gross with which we were dealing.
Hunting makes boys hungry!
Here they are crossing from B to me, through the mud. Look at L covering his ears. :)
Their boots were so muddy that they had to wear tennis shoes to church on Sunday. They're currently outside awaiting a good scrubbing and oiling. The boots, not the boys. Since I like to save oiling (saddles and boots) for a rainy day-Mr. Peters taught me that-they may be there for a while.
Update: I just purchased an identical pair of boots (minus the mud; new, actually) in J's current size on Craigslist for a ridiculously low price. Sometimes it's just my lucky day. :)
Got this from cousin Rex after I posted a pic of the boys on fb:
Ha ha! Thanks, Rex! :)
1 comment:
Love this! You and B are such good parents:)
Post a Comment