Thursday, June 7, 2012

Our Pet for 11 Seconds

This morning I asked J to pick up a dead cricket and put it in the trash.

J:  Um, okay.  (walks over to the cricket and picks it up)  Put it in the trash can?

Me:  Yes, please.  If it were alive we'd put it outside, but since it's dead we're just putting it in the trash can.

J:  (holding the cricket close to his face, looking at it intently)  Well well well it's stiwl awive.

Me:  (knowing it's actually not alive, but not wanting to get into a discussion over it)  Oh, okay.  Then we need to put it outside.  (we head to the front porch)

J:  I can put it in my bug catcher because it's my pet.

Me:  Well, we need to let it go outside.

J:  Okay.  (puts cricket down on the porch; cricket's leg falls off)  Oh.  I broke his leg.  (carefully places cricket next to his detached leg and turns around to walk back inside)

L:  (who's been on J's heels this whole time)  I'm gon step on it!  (stomps on cricket, then proudly walks inside)

No, J didn't see him squash the cricket.

Boys, boys.  :)

No comments: