Monday, June 18, 2012

Canned

Today I dove into canning for the first time ever with 2 and 1/2 pints of strawberry honey jam.

I've been interested in canning for a few years now, but have been a bit anxious about (accidentally) serving up toast with a botulism spread to my fam.  (Thank you, Dr. Acuff, for all of that pertinent information regarding Clostridium botulinum back in Food Bacteriology at A&M.)  Plus, I have assumed that a lot goes into canning and wanted to get the whole gardening thing down first.

My goal was to put up my tomatoes and peppers again this year by freezing them and then to start canning next year, but I have a recipe that calls for homemade jam and this has spurred me on and into the canning business.  Also, canning fruit is supposedly easier than veggies and meats.  (Does the thought of canning meat gross anyone else out?)

No, I am not growing strawberries, as the one I grew last year was eaten on picking day by a rabbit.  Ugh!  But, they're super sweet and cheap at the store right now, so I'm using those.

I have also made some major (to me) changes in our diet at home and am trying to cut out a lot of processed foods.  We still 'cheat' when we eat out and I am not going to rid our house of processed foods; just cut back.

Sooooo, after researching canning tips and recipes online (where anything is possible!), I decided to jump in with homemade strawberry honey jam.  Yum!  The recipe calls for 4 ingredients, all of which I already had, and the canning process seemed relatively simple.


We eat a lot-A LOT-of pbj sandwiches and whole wheat toast around here, so it seemed like a practical recipe with which to start.  It's also great in Greek yogurt (which I've been eating for breakfast w/ fresh fruit and homemade granola-Who am I?) and oatmeal, and in homemade whole wheat breakfast pastries (an easy substitute for Pop Tarts).   

Here they are!  (The half pint is in the fridge.)


I used two similar recipes and did not measure anything, so I don't know the exact amounts of each ingredient.  I used fresh strawberries (which I pureed-I don't like chunks in my jam), honey, pectin, and a little bit of lemon juice.  Super simple!  :)

Blueberry jam and sweet pickles are on the schedule for later this week.  As is a trip to the store to purchase a canning jar lifter (lifting them out of my super size stockpot with metal tongs wore on my nerves!) and a funnel.  I'd love to hear your canning tips and recipes.  :)  I'm learning as I go!



2 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome work, Sister!

Aunt Kathey said...

OMGosh, "who are you is the question of the week"? Where do you come up with this? I can't even work up to going to the grocery store! Your boys are very blessed to have you as a mother and me as an aunt. When they come we will have "normal" everything and that includes El Charro with ice cream.
Aunt Kathey (slacker but can be fun)