Saturday, June 27, 2009

Copperhead After Dark...and a Bum Flashlight

Fair Warning: If you do not like snake stories, proceed to next post.

Setting the Scene
Right after dark at 9:15 on the side of our house with no exterior lights, unless you count moonlight, which provided just enough light that I did not need a flashlight...or so I thought.

On to the Story
Because of the severe drought we have begun to water the foundation of our house. I had strategically placed the sprinkler earlier this evening and went to move it for the last time. As I reached down to move it a snake slithered away.

Naturally, I began high-step sprinting back to the patio and into the house (yes, still high-stepping) where I immediately, in a "this is an emergency" voice, said, "SNAKE, SNAKE! I need a flashlight!" (You see, yelling might have scared the snake away.)

Side Note
Now I'm not into killing harmless non-venomous snakes, as I appreciate them for their contribution to controlling the rodent population. However, I am ALL about killing any of our venomous TX snakes as quickly as possible and by whatever means necessary.

Necessary Information
Take a close look at this picture. I added the key for size comparison. Yes, this is the best flashlight Brian could find and I was in a huge hurry to find the snake. So, I set off into the dark with this ridiculous pen flashlight.
Back to the Story
Brian followed and the snake was in view and obviously a copperhead. Ugh. So, he left me to keep an eye (and a tiny beam of dim light) on it and went for a shovel.

Well, I started thinking of all the drought-affected copperheads in the area that may have heard we were serving fresh water and got all jumpy. The little pen light was fading quickly and I made a judgement call to at least scan the area where I stood in my Reef flip flops...just in case. It was about the time I'd made a half circle around my feet that the beam of light went almost completely out. The weak beam wouldn't allow me to find the snake again. So I waited.

Around the corner comes Brian with the mag light I not so nicely demanded and the shovel. Finally. Luckily we quickly spotted the snake and Brian chopped it's head off before it could get away. Great job, Hots! Again, ugh.

More Necessary Information
Out of respect for those of you who are not 'country' people, I have chosen this picture of a copperhead from the internet instead of posting one of the actual snake after it was dismembered. Don't worry, this pic is almost as gross as the other would've been. (The Pioneer Woman would have posted the actual pics!) No guarantees next time.
The Story Concludes
For the last hour I have harassed Brian for leaving his wife and unborn child with a tiny, barely functional pen light, in the dark, with a positively identified venomous snake.

Brian's response: This is your fault for luring copperheads into the yard with your sprinkler.

1 comment:

Leigh T said...

Oh, thanks for the laugh; your wit and typing skills captured the event beautifully. Thanks for the posts!