Our first "baby", Tess, died Sunday before last. She was quite a dog; more catlike in that she was really into doing her own thing, though she would sit on a lap now and then.
At fourteen she was still going strong. We could tell that her vision and hearing were iffy-okay, we could tell her vision was; she was never really into listening-but she was still running along the fence barking at the horses the night before she went down hill. I am so thankful that both she and Chance were active and feeling well right up until the end.
We got Tess in July after we'd married in May. She was two months old and was such great company for me on my days off. We took her everywhere and she was strictly inside since we lived in a tiny apartment.
She was a very small dog; about half the size of a "real Jack Russell," which she was supposed to be and had a very deep, raspy voice that surprised most everyone who heard it. In fact, we had the farrier out a couple of weeks before she died and he commented on how unusual it was. I called it her smoker's bark and felt a little safer way back when in the apartment with that bark when anyone knocked.She occasionally got to go with us when we rode horses at the Peters' and Mr. Peters called her a "pocket dog" since "she could fit right in your pocket." :)
Six months after we got Tess, we brought home a 16 lb lab puppy, Chance, and may have forced Tess to sleep with him in her crate. (At the time she was sleeping with us and I hate to admit that but it is true.) Anyway, after about 3 minutes of him whining and right before I ripped my hair out over such a stressful situation that first night we confirmed we were not ready for children and put Tess in the crate with him where she promptly lined him out and we slept well.
She and Chance got along well for the most part and she certainly let him know when he stepped out of line with her; usually by grabbing hold of his cheek with her teeth, often resulting on a "ride" for her as he swung her around.
After six years we had J and she was interested in him for a while, then mostly stayed out of his way when he got mobile.
She loved walks and popcorn.
She also loved her sweater in the winter.
The lawn mower and weedeater were her biggest sources of excitement and worst enemies from day one to the very last time I did the yard. She'd get fired up!
She moved from our first apartment, to the duplex, to the Peters', and then to our first house where she finally had a nice yard. It was there she transitioned into an outside dog (during the day when the weather was nice, anyway).
One day we came home to find her neck very swollen with two puncture wounds front and center. The vet suspected a copperhead bite, suggested some medications we had at home, and told us we'd just have to wait it out, but that she should make a complete recovery. She was very sick for about 24 hours, and then was good to go.
Both boys always enjoyed holding her leash. (J with Tess around one year old)
Tess made the move from town to the country in Bryan and thoroughly enjoyed patrolling her 2+ fenced acres. She got to practice her expert mouser skills back at our barn on a regular basis.
There was the time she attacked a big (compared to her) yellow bellied water snake one evening along our creek.
Sometimes she acted like a real dog. :)
She was pretty spoiled, too.
After Chance died we rushed out and got a rebound pup from the shelter and Tess was forced to raise her second Labrador puppy.
Here the boys and Tess are showing Missy around.
If a dog can roll its eyes, I'm sure Tess did when we showed up with Missy, but she did tolerate her well and I like to think she enjoyed Missy at least half as much as Missy enjoyed her, which was a lot. :)
Our last two moves with Tess were to town in Kerrville and then, last year, to our farm just outside of town. I know Tess enjoyed exploring the property and lying on the front porch. We buried her under a big, pretty cedar on the side of the house where the view is so nice and the sunsets are beautiful. Makes my heart happy that she got to enjoy the farm. :)
On Our Current One-Dog Situation
We've always had two dogs; mostly because we don't do inside animals but don't want anyone to be lonely. However, with our rather large menagerie the last thing I wanted to do when Tess died (and I still feel this way today) is add one more living thing. I had to silently count to ten last Wednesday when J brought home a cabbage plant for crying out loud because that's one more living thing.
Recognizing I am at-past, probably-my limit of things/people/animals/plants that require care from me, I told Hots it seemed easier to just give Missy a bath and let her come inside in the evenings when we're home. (See?! I'm going crazy.) She has her bed in our den and stays on that until bedtime, which seems to satisfy her and us. She's definitely loving all the extra attention.
And...we'll probably have a new puppy by next week. Ha!





1 comment:
I don't have any smart remarks for this blog. I am so sorry about Tess. There is something about your first baby together as a couple. I am so glad you have the pics of the kiddos with Tess. I had forgotten Jack was chunky as a toddler. He is so thin now.
I am glad you made the decision about the inside dog. Nobody loves you like your dog and I really am sorry about Tess, the wonder dog. Love you guys.
Post a Comment