Friday, December 10, 2010

Thanks. Thanks a Lot.

Last week I ran to the grocery store...about 30 minutes after nap time should've begun. It was one of those I have to do this regardless situations.

The boys were whiny off and on, then fell apart with about 8 minutes to go. Most people were really sweet and talked to the boys or at least gave me a sympathetic look. I was just about to get in line to check out when I remembered I'd forgotten to get cheese.

I turned the mongo cart around (the one with the little car on the front where the boys ride) and rushed all the way back to the cheese area, boys screaming all the way.

A man stopped me and here is what he had to offer:

Man: My nephew has twins. (Shaking his head) I don't know how you do it.

Me: Well, mine are 18 mos. apart.

Man: 18 mos. apart?! My wife and I had ours 18 mos. apart. Worst mistake we ever made. (Here he paused, shook his head again, then continued.) People said they'd play together, but they just fought all the time. Constantly. They're in their 30s now and they still hate each other. Just this Thanksgiving my son texted my daughter, "I'm so thankful today that I don't live anywhere near you."

Me: Well, I love having them this close in age. It's working well for us and I wouldn't trade the age difference for anything. (Then I remembered I should be considerate-regardless of the fact that he was not.) Of course, I am only 2 and 1/2 years in. (Forced smile)

Man: Oh, just wait. J u s t wait.


Gee, thanks for the words of encouragement. Glad I took 2 of my precious shopping minutes for that pick-me-up. You have a nice day, Sir. Now, I'll take my still-screaming cherubs, get my cheese, and get out of here.

Honestly, I almost laughed right then and there, but I didn't have the time or energy. Makes a humorous story and reminds me to be encouraging to others; especially when screaming children are involved. :)

2 comments:

Irma and Koby said...

Wow, I can't believe that. How could his kids have possibly grown up to hate each other with such a positive-thinking father???

MOM SPENCE said...

i bet he has coal in his stocking.