Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jack!!!




Today we celebrated Jack's first birthday with our family; most were so sweet to come from out of town. I had to put the cake eating photos out of order simply because the first one is my favorite. At first Jack did not know what to do with his cake. My grandmother suggested giving him a spoon and he used that for a few bites, then decided that he might as well just dive in. We'll work on manners in preparation for his next birthday!

Getting help from Daddy with the presents.


First ride in his wagon.


My sweet mom came into town on Thursday and got right to work helping with the preparations...dusting, vacuuming, and mopping (Thanks, Mom!).

She was also my sous chef and baked Jack's birthday cakes, made the icing, and filled icing sleeves, changed tips, and washed dishes while I decorated the cakes...for several hours.

Here are the birthday cakes. I decided to bake one big one for the guests and one small one for Jack so he could get the 'whole experience'. This way the rest of us could safely enjoy our cake, which would be untouched by the hands (and mouth!) of a one-year-old.




Cake Decorating: A Hobby Postponed Until Now

Growing up my mom made my birthday cake EVERY year...until I decided I would like her homemade peach cobbler instead, which is fabulous as well. My cakes were always personalized and perfectly represented whatever I requested. (Yes, the cobblers were also personalized with fancy crust designs.) I wish I had some pictures of them to post. I'll work on that.

Now there are many things my mom did especially for us growing up and this is one I decided years ago I would someday do for my own kids to make their birthdays just as special. (Yes, I have long known that this is one of my irrational ideas, but I just have to do this for my kids.)

So, I asked Mom to come early to assist with strict instructions that the cakes must be my work or it wouldn't count as homemade by Jack's mom. I am pleased with my first effort and am so thankful for my mom's help. Guess she'll have to come a couple of days early for the next few cakes, too. :)

Oh, and I don't remember Mom taking 5 hours on my cakes, so I do need several more years of practice.

3 comments:

daddyO and honey said...

i love the story about the cake, i did the same and alison has started the tradition too. she did a mermaid for cailyn's 2nd b-day when she was here. i was proud of her and i think she was pleased too. happy birthday to Jack!!

Perks said...

I'm impressed! You did such a great job! Plus, having your mom to help with the clean up is definitely an added perk. I make such a mess when I bake!

bairds said...

Can you come decorate a High School Musical cake for Kate this weekend. I toyed with the idea of homemade, but decided to support our local Tom Thumb instead. :) The cakes are fabulous! You did a great job. I love his expression as he is diving face first into the cake. Too cute!