Saturday, October 24, 2015

False alARM

Last Saturday the boys were racing around the yard for time when J jumped up on a cross tie and it fell.  He fell in between the one that had fallen and the one it had been stacked on (for erosion purposes by the previous owner; hill-living necessity).

He immediately started crying, which is VERY unusual for our super tough guy.  Tracy pulled him from the pile and he cried for quite a while after that, not using his arm at all for the next two days.

Since it didn't swell and I'm the opposite of an alarmist when it comes to my kids we didn't really consider taking him in until it finally did swell up on Monday and he still wasn't using it.

He did tell us on Sunday, "I think it might be as bad as your broken arm, Momma," referring to the time I broke both my radius and ulna clean in two back in the Fifth Grade.  I still have 2 big scars, 4 plates, and 8 pins, so I don't think so, bud.

Our doctor's office didn't open until 9:00 so we went ahead and took J to school with plans for me to pick him up after I'd talked to the doctor.

The short version of the story before we even got to the doctor involves me chasing J down with SK on my hip on a field trip I'd forgotten he was on after over 800 students from Kerrville and all surrounding towns had loaded back onto identical yellow buses.  I was sweating it out both literally and figuratively when I finally found him on the very last bus I boarded, but I got him and we headed to have his x-rays done.

It was absolutley nerve wracking weaving in and out and around and among lines of bumper to bumper buses, by the way. 

But we got there and the technician was excellent.  He really made it fun for all of us. 

Here's J looking at one of his x-rays.
SK was not too sure about posing for a pic.
We gathered from the tech that there was no visible sign of a break.  He would send it to the radiologist who would look at it and contact our doctor.

Dr. O confirmed there was no break and gave us some options to try if we'd like.  But you know me, less is often more and he said we could just let it be.

Tuesday when I picked him up from school we had this exchange.
J:  "P.E. was killer on my arm."
Me:  "Really?  What did you do in P.E. today?"
J:  "We did these arm things and the push ups really hurt my arm."

Mom of the Year, right here.

Honestly I was a little disappointed that we couldn't mark first broken bone off the list, mostly since it was non-traumatic.  For us, at least.  However, of course I'm relieved no serious damage was done and J is feeling much better now, almost back to normal.

No comments: