Saturday, October 26, 2013

About Kindergarten

Our boy on hat day, which was also our first cold snap.  :)
"I really like my school, Momma," J told me this past weekend.  Makes my heart happy and we're loving our little school.  :)

L and I pick J up every afternoon and I so enjoy hearing all about his day on the way home.

Hots drops J off at school in the mornings; walking him in each day.  J sits in the cafeteria until his teacher comes to get him, which is usually about a 10-20 minute wait for which I send a snack of some kind because he informed me that his friends "eat somethin out of their lunch boxes in the morning, probably a little lunch their mom packed."

The day he bought his lunch for the first time he was super excited because, "they have lots and lots of different kinds of food and I can choose whatever I want," immediately followed by, "but I'll make healthy choices, Momma."  And that will last how long?  :)

L and I had lunch with Kaydie that first week, too, which was fun.  When Kaydie asked how it was with J gone to school, L lowered his head and said, "I miss him."  They both seem super happy to see each other when we pick J up and they can't wait to get home to play together till supper time.

It's been so nice having breakfast together each morning.  I caught some flack about my idea to implement family breakfast every morning, but it seems important to start the day out together, as a family, visiting, eating, and praying together.  Sweet moments that I believe are important.  After all, we're sending our boy out into the world for 7+ hours 5 days a week.  We want him first.  :)

Like I said earlier, Hots takes J to school each morning and that has been fabulous.  After the first 3 weeks, he thought he'd like to resume his weekly breakfast with his friend, Mark.  They've had breakfast once a week for years and it was high time they resumed their routine.

I appreciated him taking the first few weeks off to drop J at school and was happy to take J on that one day.

All was going well that first morning until somehow I got behind schedule.  (Surprise, surprise.)

Let me tell you, Mother's Day Out was my speed for sure.  Requirements:  Don't drop your kids off before 9:00 and make sure you pick them up by 2:30.  That worked so well for 4 whole years.  I was never late on the back end and, technically, there was no such thing as late on the front end.  Those were the days...

Do you know how hard it is to drive as fast as you can at 20 miles per hour through the longest school zone ever?!  About 3 miles out I began prompting/bribing/demanding that the kids unbuckle as soon as I hit the parking spot and hit the front doors running.  They executed their assignment flawlessly but I still had to do the shuffle of shame right past the front desk and all the way to J's classroom.

It's just not possible to blame a Kindergartner for tardiness.

The next week I had a better plan and we were so early that L and I were able to join J as he ate breakfast in the cafeteria with time left over.

The third week we arrived later than the previous week and I noticed that the parent drop off line was very short.  All J had to do, I told him, was go through the door and go straight all the way to his classroom.

I watched him go through the door and take an immediate right turn so I raced around the building at 7 miles per hour, parked, and rushed inside, telling the ladies up front as well as the teachers on duty exactly what had happened.

"Dad walks him to the front door," one of them said, pointing toward the door through which I'd just entered.  "Yeah, he always brings him in," another echoed.

I earned no points with the morning duty brigade that day, but one very concerned member located my sweet, slightly upset little guy within seconds and said she'd escort him to his classroom.

Today, many weeks into the school year, I'm happy to report that there have been no more mishaps of any kind on my one day a week to drop him off.

Moving on.  J has learned so much already and it's been fun to hear of his experiences at school.  One afternoon J and I were sitting in the chairs in our bedroom, just chatting it up.

J:  Momma, do you know what compounding is?
Me:  (immediately thinking chemistry & wanting to hear his explanation, anyway)  What does compounding mean?
J stood up and asked me again with a most serious tone.
Me:  Why don't you tell me, J?
He took his seat, looked right at me with a super serious look on his face, which was now resting chin on hand with his elbow on the chair arm.
J:  It's with words, Momma, when you put them together.  He paused, his eyebrows wrinkled, and he stated with a hint of disappointment, I think I know more than you.

He's also learned quite a bit of Spanish and we're pleasantly surprised to hear him speak it without my East Texan flair which has infiltrated much of his regular speech.  Super cool to hear him speak it!

We're loving Kindergarten and we're all learning quite a bit.  :)

No comments: