Thursday, April 12, 2012

All Over the Place

Things have been crazy (which is completely normal) around here lately and I have many random items about which to post. So...here goes.

Bluebonnet Pics-A Texas Tradition
We took our bluebonnet pics the night of the hailstorm. Good thing since the hail did a number on the wildflowers that night. Anyway, this pic is one of my faves because it makes me laugh. Just wanted to give you a preview. More to come later.



Garden
We worked in the garden this evening, both before supper and after. My wonderful neighbor, Mr. Lyndon, as the boys call him, came over several weeks ago to till the space. A week or so later I planted everything (potatoes, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, 4 different types of peppers, and watermelon). The worst drought in Texas' recorded history ended that very night with a rain the very next day that began Texas' wettest year in recorded history. The hailstorm hit about 3 weeks later. Luckily the plants were still small and there was no obvious damage.

All of my potatoes except one plant are assumed to be rotting under ground since I've seen nothing to indicate life on this side. My tomato plants (all 28 of them-yes, for real) are yellowing and not looking promising. The watermelons are basically dead. Those did great last year. And, naturally, the squash and zucchini (the fruit of which I detest) are already flowering. God, Brian, and my mom are laughing. The peppers and onions are doing well, too, so that's something to celebrate.

Apparently I'm awesome at growing wild grasses. Currently I'm successfully growing 3 different varieties. So, I was chipping away at some of those grasses tonight and the boys wanted to help. Great! I've been pointing out the 'baby' plants every time we're out there and they have seemed to recognize them.

J: Look, Momma! I got this one! (Clutching a 10" tomato plant in his left hand; complete with root ball.)

I replanted that poor, pitiful plant, which was probably ready to die anyway, sent the boys to weed in the corner of the garden void of 'baby' plants, and turned on the sprinkler.

In case you didn't know, sprinklers are magnets for little boys and they played in it until right before dark. At one point, J exclaimed, "This sprinkler is great!". I absolutely loved hearing them laugh and squeal as they ran through the water. They hit their wall and began yelling, "Cold! Cold! Cold!" As I stripped them of their sopping wet clothing (not an easy task), I surveyed the damage. One onion plant and one more tomato plant lay parallel to the ground. Small price to pay for 45 mins of "great" fun for J & L!

As we headed toward the house, each one holding my hand :), we came right upon a snake in the grass. I screamed like a girl & jerked the boys back. Chance stepped on it, then saw it. Tess barked in its face, then bit it. (Poor guy!) It jumped and slithered a little ways off, seemingly not too bothered by all of us.

It was a yellow bellied water snake, so we moved in for a closer look. Cool!

Inspired by Ten 2-Year-Olds
My little Bible class of 2-year-olds planted green bean seeds in plastic punch cups last week, added some water, and left them on the windowsill at church. By last night they had sprouted and grown to be about 3 inches tall.

So tonight I planted some of the seeds I'd gotten at the CoOp a few weeks ago. Surely-surely-I can grow them, right?

About the CoOp. My friend, Joshelyn, called to let me know she would be going to the CoOp to check out this pea/bean/corn thing and I was welcome to join her. Sure! I'd wanted to plant beans and B was begging me to plant corn. Great opportunity to get some info and some seeds.

And this is the short story of our trip to the CoOp. The boys ran around in the outdoor gardening area like wild banshees (whatever those are) and when we went inside and I wasn't looking for 2 seconds, L took a scoop of cow peas (whatever those are) and dumped them into another bin containing some kind of equally tiny white peas. Ugh! There I sat on the floor at the CoOp for forty-five minutes, hand sorting tiny peas until I could no longer take it. I took one full scoop of those mixed peas and just bought them. That was just easier and will make for a 'mystery' pea situation down the road.

Sweetness
When we got home tonight I got J out of the car and was carrying him inside.
Me: J, stay little. Please don't grow up and move away.
J: (With his precious little hands holding my face, which was about 2 inches from his) No, I'm gonna grow big, but I will still live with you.
I plan to get it in writing tomorrow.

All Over the Place
On the way home from church last night B and I were talking about an upcoming family vacation to the hill country. The house B's parents are planning to rent advertises that they have a couple of tanks on the property that are "great for swimming". B was iffy about the whole swimming in a tank b/c of the kids.
Me: It won't be like the tanks in Santa Anna & Crystal City or they wouldn't claim that they're great swimming tanks.
B: Yeah, I'm sure they aren't the kind where cattle get in them and poop...
J: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww! Cows get in the tank and poopy in it?! Look, there's a yellow bus! And this concluded the conversation.

Over Breakfast
J: Some mommas work.
Me: Yes, they do, and some mommas get to stay home with their kids. I love getting to spend so much time with you and L. You are two of my very favorite people in the whole world. Are you happy I stay home with you and L?
J: (Very matter-of-factly)No.
Then he chased it with the rest of his homemade-by-me-with-love, thank you very much, pancake.

About Luke
-Likes to be "necky" and bends his knees a bit, swings his arms like a chimp, saying, "Necky, necky, necky!" So stinkin' cute!
-Got a not-so-great report from his Bible class teachers last week for spitting and not following any instructions. This week was better after several discussions w/ him throughout the week and right before class. Here's hoping he got the point.
-Is still potty trained w/ NO ACCIDENTS since the last post!
-Says, "Tank you, Mommy," when I give him anything, help him w/ anything, or take his cup from him in the car. So cute to hear when he hands me his drink!
-Says, "Saw-wee, Mommy," or "Saw-wee, Jack," when appropriate as well as to cover his bases.
-Likes to climb. He and J were in the bed of B's truck tonight and he climbed up to the roof of the cab. No Sir, L. (But I am impressed.)
-Runs like a football player. It'll be fun to see if he plays someday.
-Does everything J does. Super cute. :) Sweet big brother doesn't seem to mind at all.
-Has recently (yesterday) started calling me 'Mom'. Had no idea it would bother me, so I'm trying to persuade him to call me 'Mommy' for a while longer.

These are fun times and I'm trying to soak it all in before it's over. So thankful for our time with these sweet boys. :)

No comments: