Saturday, August 14, 2010

Your Youth is Fleeting

Kaydie kept the boys Friday night so Brian and I could have the night off. We had plans to meet friends for dinner and a night out and since we had some time before meeting up with them, Brian dropped me off at a little boutique for a few minutes of shopping while he went to get gas.

A cute little college girl greeted me cheerfully and then bopped around suggesting different items I should try on while I desperately tried to transition from mom to shopper. I was still out of it when she asked me a question, so I was slow with my answer.

"I'm sorry I'm a little out of it, but I just dropped my kids off with my mom and am trying to regroup."

"Wooooowww," she said, wide-eyed with amazement, "You have kids? You look really young."

"Thanks!" I said with a smile; both flattered and suddenly energized by her comment.

As I scanned the shop preparing to buy many more items, (certainly she worked on commission), I was hit by a blow that knocked me right back down to the way I'd felt when I arrived-tired, frumpy, old, and momish.

She might as well have been popping her gum as she said, "I mean, I would totally guess you were in your 20s."

"I'm six months into 30, so thanks."

I paid for my one item, (which I was glad to have found on the 75% off rack), and ducked out the door, analyzing her words.

Obviously she was certain that I had to be at least in my mid-thirties and thought it was a slam dunk to toss out a 20s compliment. Geez.

And that was the story of the compliment that was not.

Luckily I like to laugh about almost any situation, (appropriate or not, unfortunately) so I had to appreciate the fact that this would be a good story to tell...and to post here. :)

2 comments:

Angela Robinson said...

LOL...you've gotta love those backhanded compliments, even when they weren't necessarily intended to be so.

And for what it's worth, I think you could pass for mid-20's ANY day of the week! You haven't aged a day since I met you!

Valerie said...

Haha! This is hilarious! I love your stories...they way you write about them makes them all the more funny. Oh, and I agree with Ang - I think you're gorgeous and you haven't changed one bit since I met you.